Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luftschutz Polizei and Feuerschutz Helmets.

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Skipper, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Thanks Skip, I've been collecting this sort of thing for a few years.

There is also another variant of the Luftschutz helmet which I've never come across and is known as a Flat Rim.

As for civic helmets (fire, police etc)...there are around 12 different types!

2. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

Skipper,
    Thanks so much for starting this thread; I've learned a bunch already. I have a helmet and it is supposedly a Luftschutz (at least that's what the decal says!):
    View attachment 15522
    I'd appreciate any info you can tell me about it's authenticity, correctness, type, use, whatever!
    Thanks,
    John

Attached Files:

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You have a nice two piece model and it looks genuine and in great condition.

4. jagdpanther44

It also looks like an M35 shell.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I love this picture. Among the civilains you can see a Luftschutz member with Helmet, a Polizei officer, a Feuerwehr man one and there is a Wehrmacht soldier too with a Mütze

[​IMG]

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I saw a one piece model for sale last week, I hesitated buying it because of the liner which was made of jute and the chin strap was thick transparent plastic (with the good rivets) . I thought about about a cheap recycled post war helmet . The liner and strap were in the very same shape as the leather alter ego and it was just too ugly to be a fake, if you know what I mean . The decal had been removed but the colour was still the good blue. It was for sale for 80 euros. Should I have bought it?

7. jagdpanther44

It sounds like the helmet had a replacement strap fitted as plastic ones were used towards the end of the war.

Can't comment on the liner though as I've never seen one made of Jute?

The helmet seems a little expensive considering the decal has been removed, but on the other hand it is quite a rare find. :confused:

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I thought so too John, if it was used to clean the rubble after May 1945 the decal had to be removed. The jute liner looks good, I mean, same dimensions, same sowing, etc.. just no leather but cheaper stuff probably made with old bags.

If the guys is still there and if he still has it, I will make an offer tomorrow. I know that's a lot of "ifs".

It can't beat the find I made today: 11 original issues from Signal (French version) including the 6 first numbers from 1941 for... 5 euros, that's less than 50cts a piece .

9. jagdpanther44

Nice find with the Signal magazines, Skip. I've seen those going for over €20 each!

Back to the Luftschutz helmet, in the latter days of the war cheaper materials were used to make liners including a compressed type paper and even synthetic leather - which is in one of my Luftshcutz helmets.

I hope it is still there for you and you get it at a good price. ;)

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I have pinpointed two fairs around the town I was last week. I suppose the seller is a local , so going on his "territory" should logically lead me to him. If not , I'll find other things I hardly ever come home empty handed.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well , got it ! It was pretty close . Whne I got to the place a guy was holding it in his hands and was negociating it but he eventually put it back and that's when I got my chance I offered 60 euros for it and bingo.
    It looks pretty decent and the plastic chin strap seems to have been fitted there by the original manufacturer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jagdpanther44 likes this.
  12. jagdpanther44

That's a very, very nice lid and i'm not in the least bit jealous! :rolleyes:

You can also buy more Signal magazines with the €20 you saved. :D

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

actualy I bought a Km mess knife. Glad you like the helmet John . I really hesitated about buying this one and I almost missed the deal.