Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luftwaffe dagger

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by devlishgrn, May 9, 2010.

1. devlishgrn

devlishgrn Member

I inherited this dagger from a great uncle who passed away about the time I was born. I do not know much about it, other than he traded for it at the end of the war.

Any information about it would be cool as I've had this most of my life. Also, I am interested in find out how much it might be worth. Also, anyone interested in purchasing it can contact me as well. Thanks!

The blade itself has markings SMF SOLINGEN, as well as some sort of symbol etched in the blade above it... could be a chinese symbol, could possibly say TSH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

this is a Luftwaffe parade dagger. If it is genuine it's worth about 300 euros . The Solingen markings look fine but the handlebar should have an iron filigrane wire around the handle like a spiral

Here is another Solingen model from 1939 with filigrane on the hnadlebar

[​IMG]

4. devlishgrn

devlishgrn Member

thanks for all the information. The handle definitely looks different, so not sure if it was replaced or not. The dagger came home with my great uncle, but that's all I know about it.

5. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

This looks like a parts dagger. The handle and the ferrel are from an army dagger...that is why the handle (which is cracked) has no grip wire...the army dagger never had it. The pommel does not look like it is a 'SMF' example either.

I'd say it may bring $300.00 max...it's a project dagger at best...maybe someone would buy it for parts.

I mean no offense....just trying to answer your question as honest and thorough as possible.

Rich

6. devlishgrn

devlishgrn Member

Hey Rich,

Appreciate the honesty. The handle didn't look the same to me either. No offense taken.

Thanks!

7. cobblejohn

cobblejohn Member

I have the same dagger minus the tassel, but I have the strap to the holder. I just find it amazing the story behind the dagger and where it could of been, I have it framed in a display case