Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luftwaffe M35 DD

Discussion in 'German WWII Uniforms and Equipment' started by Friedhelm, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Fake or Original?

1. Yes! 100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No poor reproduction.

50.0%
  3. Shell is Ok but Decals fake.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I can't tell.

50.0%
  1. Friedhelm

Friedhelm Member

Hello Guys,

It seems like ww2.com has a new interface. It i can't find some things anymore but okay lets go forward. I really need some help on this Helmet to be honest I don't see things that are wrong it seems to me a very good helmet. Could you guys please take a look at it? thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I wouldn't buy it. The inside looks ok, but no shell seriai number is available. The eagle looks dodgy and brand new. Scrathes seem to have been added to make it look older , same thing for the national emblem. It looks as if it is covering the place of an older one but it's 1mn lower.The blue looks brand new and covers old rust sports that shows the paint was added after it actually rusted. There is not a paint chip missing, not even on the rim. The chin strap looks new, particulary the rivet. It's hard to be 100% certain from just seeing pictures, but in doubt I'd skip it .

3. Friedhelm

Friedhelm Member

The seller claims to have replaced the chinstrap himself which explains it. It is marked SL62 and 41

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Ok, this confirms it's a repro chinstrap. The shell is probably orignal, but repainted imo (possibly with the original liner. ) . Check out the liner picture at the rim, for instance next to the chin strap and you will see some blue paint that was not totally removed. It shows it was painted without even removing the inside. Again I could be wrong, but my instinct tells me vade retro.

Bas J. likes this.
  5. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I too am doubtful about the helmet being completely genuine. It's hard to tell from a photo but the paint shade looks suspect and so too does the liner as it looks like it has been artificially aged. The decal is certainly dodgy and a first pattern eagle on an M40 shell is unusual?

Are you sure the 2 letter stamp on the shell is SL as I've never heard of that manufacturer code?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good point, I'd expect that eagle on a M-35. I'd guess the seller misread the code which could be SE (Sächische Emailler) .

7. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Yes it is more than likely SE

8. Bas J.

Bas J. New Member

My opinion is that the seller has taken out the liner - or added it in later - which would explain the big difference in condition between the liner and the shell itself, given it a brush paint of the blue color and added fake decals.

Another thing to note is that this is actually an m40. M40 double decal helmets are as rare as hen's tooth. That would already mark a very swift no for me.

I believe the shell ITSELF (not the paint or decals) and the liner are ok. I'm fairly certain the chinstrap is a fake.

Regards,
    Bas