Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luger...

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Lone Soldier, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Lone Soldier

Lone Soldier Member

when looking at World War weapons, you can't over look at the Luger as one of the best handguns of it's time. what r ur views on it and other handguns?

P.S. if anyone has a Luger, i'd luv 2 hear 'bout it!

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If im not mistaken, I believe I answerd that in a posting here somewhere. If I dont find it somewhere here, I will repost my thoughts on the Luger. ;)

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Correct, I answered your question in the Mauser topic. :cool:

4. mp38

mp38 Member

I am a collector of WWII German handguns. In my opinion the Luger gained its' fame in WWI, not WWII. It was primarly used in WWII for looks, intimidation, and syle! :D
    The Walther P38 was a highly advanced pistol, and a far superior gun to the Luger. It was the first high caliber double action pistol accepted into military service! It was very cheap and easy to make. It was very rugged, reliable, and accurate. Its shape was very pleasing to the eye, and the P38 has some style to it as well.

Lets' not forget the other pistols that the Germans used as well, such as:
    Browning Hi-power
    Radom P35
    Walther PP, PPK
    Sauer 38h
    Mauser HsC
    Mauser 1934
    Femaru P37
    CZ P27
    Beretta mod 1934, and 1935
    CZ P39
    MAB mod D
    Star
    Astra
    Browning 1922

I'm sure there are a few that I missed.

Matt :cool:

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I had forgotten about most of those! Not that im knocking the other mauser pistols but they sure were ugly looking.

Im also goad that another is here to say that the P-38 was better than the Luger--I was beginning to wonder. :eek:

6. mp38

mp38 Member

Mauser Pistols ugly! :eek: I think that the Mauser HsC is one of the best looking (not mention design and function) small SLPs ever made! Carl, I'll send you some pics of mine if you want to see it! Its' a nice early HsC with WaA135 markings, and a 1941 dated holster, that is also WaA marked.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Matt--I welcome the pics of the Mauser pistol.

Im of course not talking about Mauser Broomhandle pistols as ugly. I also know the Mausers of which you type--I dont dislike them or think they are junk--but just dont "see" the beauty as compared to P-38s and P-08s. I just think the Mausers I am thinking of were just well--kinda wierd shaped--compared to the P-38 and P-08. Also, I like the Browning Hi-power, and will be seeking to get 1-2 when I have the money--German markings only of course :D :D :D

8. mp38

mp38 Member

L.S.,
    I've got a WWI 1914 Erfurt Artillery Luger in my collection. It has two wooden bottom mags, cleaning rod and brown leather holster. Gun is about 80% with very good bore, and holster is about 93% with the cleaning rod pouch repaired.

9. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I think the Luegger is the most beautiful hand gun ever!

It represents German military machine in both wars! No other pistol (except for American revolvers in the Western) has all that History and represents so much!

My grandfather just gave me one in my last birthday and I just love it!!!! :D :D It is much better than the fancy car the prick of my father gave me, rying to buy me... :mad:

10. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Hi Matt
    You showed us yours so I'll show mine : -

deact ( of course! ) frame dated 1939, swastika markings all present. Toggle action stamped 'byf' and frame numbers have been re-engraved to match numbers on action, looks factory, not field or amateur. So I'm guessing weapon went back to Mauser in, what, '41,'42 for re-working? Not the world's best example but I like it a lot. As always, wish it could talk . . .

11. mp38

mp38 Member

Martin,

Your gun is probably a mis-matched import. If the chamber is dated 1939, then the toggle should be marked "42" not "byf". Mauser didn't use the "byf" code until 1941.
    1939 and 1940 dated lugers will have the code "42" on them. All Mauser lugers of 1934-1938 will be marked "S42".
    Also for FYI, the 1941 and 1942 dated lugers will only be marked with the last two digets for the year, such as "41" or "42" on the chamber. If you want to find a rare WWII luger, don't look for a K-date or G-date, look for a "byf" 42 dated one with WaA135 acceptance markings. These are very rare, since the majoritiy will be marked WaA655 or WaA63. IF you have one, or find one, then keep it!! :eek: These were the last lugers made!

12. Martin Bull

Thanks for the detailed info, Matt.

The weapon is a mismatch, anyway, because the basic frame is much older than the receiver assembly .
    What is interesting is that the serial number on the receiver and barrel has been xxxx'd out and carefully replaced with a two-digit number (13)to match the number of the (obviously newer) toggle, and then it's all been re-blued . That's why I wondered if the original gun might have gone back to the factory.

Typical collector, me - nice to sit here for hours looking at my toys and speculating !

13. mp38

mp38 Member

It didn't go back to the factory. The gun was probably reworked in the Eastern block (or E. Germany). It was probably re-assembled with mis-matched parts, re-numbered, and re-blued, then imported to the USA for big profit!$$$
    Still, mismatched imports are great to have as shooters. That is why most people buy them.

14. Martin Bull

You're probably right - except for the big-bucks part ( I bought it cheaply a few years back ).
    Still, it's my Luger and I love it !Ah, well - at least I can dream !
    ( I most definitely can't afford an Artillery model . . .!! ) ;)

[ 06 July 2002, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

15. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, I have checked what my "new" Luegger says 42, I suposse made in 1939... It is just beautiful. I have fired the P-38 as well and I find it much, much better but not as pretty as the Luegger. My grandfather had six Lueggers (now, he has only five :D ) including the original Luegger he used in combat, another 42 and a 1914 Luegger also. I can't remember the others... I do not pay much attention to those little details...