Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M1 Garand Rifle Grenades.

Discussion in 'Allied Light Weapons' started by KodiakBeer, Jun 18, 2018.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I find these weapons interesting, mostly because the information you get is so often anecdotal. You don't see specifics. What types of grenades were issued? What were the ranges? How effective were those anti-tank grenades? How accurate were rifle grenades? How universally were they used?
    One of the most fascinating questions (to me) is the "air burst." You read these anecdotal accounts in memoirs about soldiers so proficient with rifle grenades that they could mentally compute the angle of the rifle and the depth that a standard pineapple grenade was mounted on the launchers to use the 4 second delay of the grenade itself to detonate the explosion just over the heads of enemy soldiers in foxholes or other barricaded positions.
    These fellows know their stuff, particularly the pony-tailed fellow on the left, Ian McCollum. He may be this generation's Ian Hogg, or perhaps fair to say that in some years time he will be another Ian Hogg. I don't believe anyone alive today knows as much about 20th century small arms as McCollum.

Well worth your 16 minutes. Note the chart at about 7:00 minutes and the discussion on air bursts at about 10:00 minutes.

JJWilson likes this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

I've long been curious about rifle grenades as well, and it wasn't until about a year ago that I even knew had they had worked! As you said Kodiak, I've heard a lot of stories and encounters that make Rifle grenades seem more effective than mortars or Anti-Tank guns!! I also find Mr. McCollum and his youtube channel very entertaining and informative.

KodiakBeer likes this.