Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M26 Adrian Helmet - Casque Adrian

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by AndyPants, Feb 17, 2009.

1. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Hello all - this is my first proper post :D and I taught I'd show you guys one of my helmets.........as I have a few questions regarding it and for some reason cant find answers so far.

This is a french M26 Adrian Helmet that I purshased a few months back - as soon as I saw it, I just could'nt resist!!! (you know what I mean ;) )

1. - Well the first question that I have is concerning maker's marks / dates of manufacture - How did the french stamp/mark their finished helmets? I cant find any on the helmet (I've checked everywhere)....moreover I cant find any information on the internet either (Im so used of being able to find the maker's marks/dates on british helmets so easily). Maybe the french didnt stamp them????

However on closer inspection, I have found a very faint ink stamp (I think)....it is hard to read, but from what I can make out - NICROM?C?? This does appear to be original - but my lack of French does'nt help here - so my guess is possibly a manufacture's name????

2. - The paint......appears to be a shade of blue, is it " Horizon Blue " (The colour is actually lighter then in the pictures - I just have'nt cleand the helmet)......would this Horizon blue be the colour applied in the factory or in the field?.......If so I find this weird as I taught Horizon Blue was used by the french in WW1 - so why would they continue to use it during WW2? (considering changes in uniform etc )

3. - For some reason, most Adrian helmets I come across for sale, both on the internet / in person.....nearly always have their badges missing??

Are they made of a valuable metal - hence seperated from the helmets for other uses?

Or simply that it is easier for soliders to take a badge as opposed to the whole helmet as a souvenir / keepsake ???

(The last picture is a close-up of the inside of the helmet - the area where the faint ink stamp is.)

Any Information, Ideas or comments would be welcome guys! :)

Attached Files:

2. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Two more images showing the inside and the area where the faint ink stamp are:

Attached Files:

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Welcome to the site and nice Adrian. You sould look at a few Skipper posted from his collection ;-))

Best regards--C.

4. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Thanks Evans - can you remember what form/tread Skipper posted them in?....I've had a good luck

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome and-I think they were posted in the: "What's your newest militaria purchased thread." Skipper had a few variations of the helmet posted. One I THINK was one w/ Artillery insignia on it.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello AndyPants. The shade you have is certainly not Horizon blue. This shade was WWI only used in WWI and even some M-1915 helmets are mustard brown, but there is no Horizon blue used after 1926. You have a 1926 helmet (the distinction is mainly that the M-1915 is made out of three larger pieces and the M-26 has one (if you do not count the crest) . It is hard to identify your helmet , but the isignia could have been a Navy anchor and the colour navy blue. the dates were usually added with an ink stamp.
    If you restore this helmet in kaki brown or green you could turn it in almost any model going from artillery, infantery or navy. Insignias were often taken off as they are nice souvenirs, but you can get those for about 10-20 euros each for common ones.
    I bought this M-26 helmet this morning, it has no isignia either but the green paint is fine
    [​IMG]

Otto and AndyPants like this.
  7. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Thanks alot Skipper, I think that pretty much answers all my questions ;) ......and know it makes me what to learn some more about these helmets......Thanks for getting me hooked! :D

8. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

I almost forgot......thanks for getting back with info Evans - I found those pics ;)

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome and glad to help ;-)) Skipper has an amazing collection of stuff in his vast museum-like collection.

10. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

ya, im starting to learn that ;) , a good guy who know's his stuff!...........hopefully some day I'll have me own little 'museum-like collection' - with the information to go along with it! - thanks again

AndyPants

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Stay Hooked Andy, as I will meet a famous helmet collector on Wednesday and go to the Chartres Militaria fair next Sunday, I am saving money for more Adrians.

They are fascinating to collect. Once you realize you can get them in many different versions, countries etc.. it is addictive.
    These are not only types, models, colors, ranks, and armies but also countries!

A few examples from WWI : Serbia , Belgium , Russian Tsarist troops in France, Belgians , Poles, French colonial troops (crescent) , Romania

WWII : foreign Legion, Czech Legion, Belgium, homefront

Post WWII : police (up to 1968!) and firemen

12. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Excellent stuff Skipper - if ya get anything nice, be sure to let me know.

I too have my eye on another Adrian......a friend is looking into it for me ;)

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

He, he I see you are hooked now. The one I am looking for is a white one with a red cross . Those were used by medics and nurses.

Also they have really small M-1915 models which were for school boys (aged ten or plus)

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I found a few illustrations to describe my earlier statements. Here are some examples of nice helmets, I wish I owned all of those!

[​IMG]

Tsarist M-15 Adrian used by the Russians until 1917.

[​IMG]

Belgian M-31 derived Adrian

[​IMG]

French M-15 for Genie troops with WWI veteran plaque

[​IMG]

Gendarme Adrian with gold color insignia

[​IMG]

Fireman Adrian

15. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

the second last picture you showed 'Gendarme Adrian with gold color insignia' ......looks like the type/colour (minus the badge again) of the one my friend is looking at though he only showed me one picture (was'nt the best of quality)....if i get it, i'll show you.

How common is it to find any type of adrian with it's original badge still attached?

I supose it depends on the type of helmet, like if it's a common type (infantry)??

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Helmets with insignias are hard to find. There was a rusted M-15 with artillery insignia at the flee market yesterday, I didn't bother picking it up as I already have one with paint . I think it was 25 €. Some insignias are worth fortunes and are hard to find (colonials, medics foreign etc.. ). Most exist as repros and frankly when painted you don't see the diffrence, except that the tags behind are copper instead of metal as welding copper is easier.
    The Gendarme helmet was also used in the 50s for regular police. They are quite common, but this color was also used for the Defense Passive (homefront) Vichy Police and the Milice . The 2 latter ones are rare.

17. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Thanks for that little bit of info......might mention it to my friend, for that helmet he's looking at for me (see if the seller has some information on it's past) ;)

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Is there any chance to get a picture of it? I could probably help.

19. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

I'll give him a call now and see if he can send me some more pictures......i'll post them then ;)

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore