Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M38 scopes

Discussion in 'The Tanks of World War 2' started by Slimsmally, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Slimsmally

Slimsmally New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you guys and girls may be able to help me with identifying some potential parts.

I have to confess, this is a star wars related question! As we all know, the production team used a vast amount of WW2 items with the film and in most cases "dressed them up" with greeblies etc.

I have a genuine Sherman M38 on a display blaster. Although this is film accurate, in themovie A New Hope there appears to be two addition items on top one of the scopes. This is only seen in one scene (Sandtroopers stopping Luke and the droids before being mind tricked).

Can anyone please tell me if these items on top of the scope are 'real world' and if so, what are they and do you have a picture to hand please?

FB_IMG_1594650684203.jpg

Hope someone can help clear this up!

Many thanks
    Smally.

2. Slimsmally

Slimsmally New Member

Here's another angle

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-5028.jpg

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

By "real world" do you mean are The two protrusions on the top of the lug authentic to the original optic used with the Sherman tank? It appears that the optic is mounted upside-down on the Sterling and as such, yes, the protrusions are original to the M38 series optic (which was originally contained within the M4/M4A1 gunner's periscope).

I can pull one out of my Sherman for photos if desired....

4. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

If they're using WW II era technology, that explains their poor marksmanship.