Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M4A3E8 Battles

Discussion in 'Tank Warfare of World War 2' started by usmc93, Apr 27, 2017.

1. usmc93

usmc93 New Member

Hi all, I dont post here much, mostly just read. I am a professional modeler and looking for some help as I know WW2 history well but cant find specific battles with this tank. I am building a large scale diorama for a military museum. I need it to have some M4A3E8s in the scene, it will be 2-4 tanks per side. I am looking for any credible in formation on specific battles or engagements involving US M4A3E8 tanks, at least one with other tanks are ok too. I can just make up a fictional/history based scenario of the correct time period, like a depiction somewhere on the late West Front but would like to copy a general script/scene if possible. I know it wasnt produced until 1944 and am very familiar with the tank itself, just looking for historic battle information.
    Thanks for any help.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. usmc93

usmc93 New Member

Thanks very much. I had read bout Abrams' Easy 8 tanks and come across a few of his tanks while researching the first M4A3E8 tank that I built for the diorama. I will see if he leads me to a battle or setting I can use. I could also custom build one of his tanks, as I know he modified his own Easy 8s. Thanks again

4. OpanaPointer

[​IMG]

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Thunderbolt VI, was an M4A3(76)W.

Thunderbolt VII was a M4A3E8.
    [​IMG]

6. OpanaPointer

Tanks!

7. usmc93

usmc93 New Member

Thanks all. So Abrams and has Easy 8 were at the Battle of the Bulge, which I had considered but honestly was hoping to avoid a snow scene as they pose a lot more problems and time, although I may still end up going that route, but any other ideas/battles are welcome. Thanks all for the help so far

8. OpanaPointer

"center of military history creighton abrams" in Google.

9. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

No, Abrams used Thunderbolt VI during the Battle of the Bulge. The best evidence is that the M4A3E8 were not received in the ETO until 1945 as part of the flood of tank replacements sent in the aftermath of the Bulge when ETOUSA finally convinced ASF they had a tank shortage (after five months of argument). Unfortunately, documentation for specific types shipped and received is limited, since the Army routinely classified all M4 types as 75mm, 76mm, or 105mm without specifying sub-types (the M4A3E2 was an exception and was usually so designated). Most evidence for the arrival of the M4A3E8 is photographic. The earliest known is of the 4th AD and dated 8 January 1945, while the 37th TB first reported five on hand on 30 December 1944. By 3 March 1945, 70 of 180 M4 76mm allacated by the Armor Section of 12th Army Group from new receipts were M4A3 76 (w) with HVSS.

Takao likes this.
  10. Takao

Takao Ace

Well, if you are planning a diorama based on Abrams Thunderbolt VII, you are going to have to do some photographic research to get it right.

In this Youtube clip, that shows Thunderbolt VII(1:22-1:40)

additional armor is clearly seen added to the tank.

The same and additional footage can be found here:
    HD Stock Video Footage - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams' 4th Armored Division M4A3E8 Sherman Medium Tank, "Thunderbolt VII," during World War II.

Although, this thread might also be worth a peruse:
    M4A3 76 W HVSS 'Thunderbolt VII' Premium Tank

11. Owen

Owen O

12. OpanaPointer

Which brings up a point, "Street Fightin' Man" vs. open-country? Tanks do terrible things to towns and cities, but they're also more vulnerable. Open country allows for maneuver and evasion.

13. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The key, as always, is combined arms. The 1st ID and 745th TB and the task force from 3d AD in Aachen did so and suffered relatively few losses. Bren Adan's division in 1973 at Suez didn't and suffered the consequences. Most famous example of how bad the consequences can be is probably the botch job done by the Russian's in the New Year's Battle of Grozny.