Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Maginot line walking stick great relic!

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

My latest find

This is a 1939-1940 dated walking stick from a French soldier who engraved his campaign names on his stick . It shows he originally was base in the OISE (near the Somme area) , then he mowed to Dijon (Burgnudy and finally ended up in the lower Alsace front line , bording the German border around the Maginot line .

Walking sticks are an ancient tradition which stems from the Napolonic Tambour Major epoch , when tropps had to walk for hours and sometimes used sticks , which they late rchoses to engrave and take home as a souvenir.
    They are quite rare and I was extremely happy to get my first one ever.

Check out the viper!

Note the spelling error at "souvenire" (sic) and the intitials P.P. engraved in a heart. The tassels are opportunity finds fro ma curtain and the stick seems to be made with chesnut wood (the snake is ivy) .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Biak likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

Details of the know and the tassel .

[​IMG]

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I do walking sticks.....Give it to me...Ok...leave it to me in your will...Bestest mate...

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great for herding sheep, hein ? :dance4:

6. Biak

Biak Adjutant

That's a great find Skipper ! To find something like this and in great condition is most likely a once in a lifetime discovery.
    Kind of a hobby with me too, as I like to make my own. Never go 'Mushrooming' without one.

7. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

What a wonderful WW2 memento connected to so many places.....and in superb condition. Quite a find , Skipper, but ......Bit fancy for poking reticent sheep, what?. Cannot blame urgh for wanting it. A wee nicer one than my rubber handled aluminum one made a few months ago in China !!! LOL

Quelle canne de beautifuk

Gaines

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thank you gentlemen. I was quite surprised to find this at noon. Several people stopped me and asked whether they could have a look at it and congratulated me for my find. One seller wanted to buy it from me. What makes it even better is the fact that the places can be traced (mostly near the Colmar area bullworks) and tha tit is cleary dated 1939-40.
    Also it has more mystery markings on it , that were never engraved, just pencilled and almost erased. Probably the next works, but the owner never gotto it (KIA , POW ? who knows... ) Quite moving and amazing to find this at a local sale after all those years.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

What an amazing find, Skipper. This is a great example of the joys of relic hunting. Well done.

10. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

And Skip has promised to let me have it when he next moves home...I like Skip...He always keeps his promises...Must get it in writing...Blood will do.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Maybe in a second life Urgh, as this beauty is not for sale.