Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Malmedy-Baugnez after all these years...

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Timo, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Timo

Timo Member

Hey forum,

Nearly 57 years after the killings at Baugnez during the advance of KG Peiper through the Ardennes, I wonder what people consider the thruth.

Tons of books and articles have been written by Germans, Americans, Belgians and others. Former members of the Leibstandarte were tried in 1946, but still the "who did it" is a controversial question as opinions are coloured by patriotism on both sides and by bad knowledge of the facts. I've red and heared nonsense and sense from both sides and formed my opinion only to learn that both Germans and Americans do not agree with me. Guess I am stuck in the middle.

Your opinions on the case please.

Thanks in advance,
    Timo

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Somewhere it was mentioned that members of the 12st SS Div, are the ones thought to have done that crime. I do not remember where I read about that but, it could be true. I say this because most of the ones in the 12th SS were zealots--hard core in their beliefs of nazism.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

There have been recent reports of the shootings not being premeditated but caused by some of the prisoners making a run for it. A guard fired a warning shot and that caused the other prisoners to run and hide. This last action caused the shooting that ensued. I am not condoning what happened but some of the eye witnesses that confirm this version were American servicemen who survived.

I don't know what happened but whether it was premeditated or not, it was a tragedy. My 2 cents worth is this, there is no way a commanding general at the level of 'Sepp' Dietrich could have any control or be responsible for actions happening at that level. I for one could believe that this was not a premeditated murder. Joachim Peiper was not around by all accounts. There was no order to shoot all prisoners as prisoners were taken and not shot by the SS units.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

What PzJgr says is correct. There were no standing orders in any of the branches of the Wehrmacht, that specifically ordered the executions of POWs.

No doubt exhists in my feeble mind, that Peiper would allow any such thing to happen let alone order such things to be done.

Peiper simply was THE main man the allies wanted to blame :mad: since they were too lazy to do any "real" investigatings in the matter. Just the usual: "Well he is in the Waffen SS and is guilty" mentality :mad: Im glad people are thinking differently these days--at least a few--before its TOO late to let some of these men get the positive attention that they deserve. Not only for being elite soldiers but for also being correct soldiers.

Before a wrong impression forms, I mean most of the COMBAT Troops, not some of the scum like some members of the Kaminski Brigade, or the S.D. Those WERE gutter trash.

5. Timo

Timo Member

Carl, first of all thanks for the magnificent present. It arrived today [​IMG]

Thing is, some weeks ago I spoke with a German LAH veteran (Nachrichtenkompanie) who was attached to KG Peiper in the Ardennes. He has his own theory about what happened and I tend to believe he's right. First of all he stated that he can't deny what happened (as many other veterans do). He believes the men in the field were killed by the crew of the present 251's, not by the Panzers. Must say this makes sense to me since he showed me on location why the tanks are out of the question. He also gave me a psychological profile on the men who did it. He said: "imagine these 17-year old grenadiers, green as grass the only thing that makes them feel strong is their gun. A small group of these teenagers is ordered to guard this large group of Americans". He said that he's convinced that the SS-men were probabely more scared of the American prisoners then vise versa. And then all over sudden the Americans start moving.

I don't say its right to open fire, no way, but I guess I understand the reflex that made them do it.

After they stopped firing the soldiers realized the consequenses of what they did and they decided to kill all survivors. Had they been battle harden veterans nobody whould have lived to tell, but even this (fortunately) these rookies coudn't do "right".

That, executing survivors, was their real crime.

Its his theory, but I tend to say he's right. Any comments?

Cheers,
    Timo

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Timo, glad it arrived and glad you liked it. Its not a bad likness of that RKT. I think there are only 20 or 25 of each of these made. The person who did these are trying to get some RKTs to sign what he has left. Last I heard, he hasnt recieved the signed prints back yet.

Thats quite a story from that vet. You should get him to write it down in his point of view and also to have him write his memories down, they need to be preserved at all costs.

As he was there, I would have to believe what he says is true. Over the last some years, its been evident that the US pows were guarded by young soldiers and not seasoned combat vets. What you put here from what that vet says, I do agree with you 100% It DOES make sence.

Next time you see this vet, please give him my best regards will you?

Take care and glad you liked the print, wish I could give you something better.