Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Malta: Mostar church bomb

Discussion in 'Naval War in the Mediterrean, Malta & Crete' started by deltadry, Oct 19, 2009.

1. deltadry

deltadry Member

Does anyone have a copy of the photo in Mostar church of the chaps who de-fused the bomb that came through the dome during a service and failed to explode? I think one of them was my late father-in-law Fred Watts, RAOC. He won the BEM for bravery and possibly for this incident and his family are very keen to find out more. Any contemporary records would be very gratefully received. I've tried to locate a relevant war diary without success.

2. bdmalta

bdmalta Member

There's a book about bomb disposal in Malta available on Amazon (called UXB Malta) that deals with this. The Mosta bomb was dealt with by the Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal Section who tackled all UXBs outside of Royal Navy and RAF places. I think the photo you mean is the one sold in the church at Mosta. It shows the RE Bomb Disposal Section in January 1941.

3. Niko001

Niko001 recruit

Just one correction...It is known as Mosta and not Mostar...This is the replica of the bomb dropped over the church...

[​IMG]

4. bdmalta

bdmalta Member

There are so many rumours and myths surrounding the Mosta bomb I thought I'd consider a few in my latest blog for UXB Malta.

5. behindthelines

behindthelines Member

wow that was lucky.

6. matelo

matelo recruit

Hi , I just happened on this site and was surprised to see this request about the bomb on the church in mosta. As they say your boat just came in . My best mate from the day that we both joined the royal navy is the son of one of the bomb disposal team that defused the bomb, and then it was removed to be disposed of at sea. Your query is YES there is a photo of the team taken outside the church in front ( rear) of the lorry, and you can get a post card from the church of the bomb disposal team. Also last year's calander also has the same photo in,as a last thouht the old gentle man who man's the church door has a photo that is signed by all of the men of the bomb disposal team. I hope that this is of some help to your query. jeff

7. bdmalta

bdmalta Member

I'd be interested to know the identity of your best mate. I've written the history of Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal in Malta and have been trying to trace members of the squad and their families. I can be contacted via uxbmalta.blogspot.com

8. johnnypool

johnnypool recruit

my dad (bob mason) was part of this and also got the BEM i have a copy of the photo (not worked out how to send it you yet)

9. ColH

ColH recruit

Just found this site after a conversation with my dad about this incident and him trying to find a picture of my grandfather with the bomb along with getting me details of his medals for my daughter's current school project. After reading this I was wondering when you joined the navy as my father joined up at 15 direct from Malta, his first name is Colin.

If by some chance he could be your mate drop me a message and I'll pass your details to him.

If I get a copy of the photo this weekend I'll post a copy and see if its the one being discussed.

Cheers

10. Pedestal

Pedestal recruit

During the raid of Thursday 9th April 1942, just 4 days after Easter, in which one 500kg bomb penetrated the Mosta dome at around 4:40pm, there where two bomb disposal teams of the Royal Engineers operating in Malta. One team was led by Lieutenant Caroll, and the other team was led by Lieutenant Blackwell. When they received the news, since it was a priority, both teams rushed to the site.

Such bombs only the team leader will defuse the bomb. So either Lt Caroll or Lt Blackwell attented the bomb, or maybe both. At the Mosta church, there is a photograph showing the bomb disposal team that difused the bomb. Lt. Talbot is in the photo.

Who was Lt. Talbot? Lieutenant Talbot was the first bomb disposal leader when Malta experienced the first raids of WWll. At that time there was only one team which covered the whole island. After a few months Lt. Caroll came to Malta to replace Lt. Talbot who eventually took over. From there on Lt Talbot joined the reconnaissance team. Unfortunately Lt Talbot was on board a plane in a mission near Sccily and his plane was shot down. He was killed and burried in a cemetary in Scicily in 1941.

So Talbot can never be the one who attended the Mosta bomb and defused it. But who actually defused the bomb is still to be known.

11. Diane

Diane New Member

I have enjoyed reading these stories my granddad Peter Nolan apparantely helped defuse the bomb but don't really have any details I do believe his name is on the wall x