Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Man in the High Castle

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by MoneyGuy, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MoneyGuy

MoneyGuy Member

Anyone watching this new series? I've heard it's quite good. For anyone unfamiliar, it uses the premise that the Axis powers had won the war. The States are under German and Japanese occupation/rule. I haven't seen any of it yet so I may pick up the novel first. I like alternate history topics.

Otto likes this.
  2. Otto

Otto Made of plastic. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm going to watch it but have not yet seen an episode, would be interested in hearing the opinions of others. I'm a sucker for ridiculous alternative history scenarios, as long as they are TV/movies. Alternate history books are too much of an investment when there is so much actual history sitting in the bookshelf.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

It's OK. I have watched a few episodes and enjoyed the premise, but the acting is a little suspect. Rufus Sewell, however, is excellent in his role.

Otto likes this.
  4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I've seen three episodes. Not bad, so far. I don't pay attention to the actors. I'd be hard pressed to name who is in anything. I've enjoyed what I've seen.

Otto likes this.
  5. Otto

Otto Made of plastic. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That's enough for me to try to at least try it out, thanks Gentlemen!

6. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

I binge-watched all 10 episodes in two days. The first two episodes are good, but the remaining ones are far better. So if you do watch the first two episodes and aren't convinced, keep going. :)

What I find really interesting is how the policies of the Third Reich and Imperial Japan that were in place during the war play out all these years later. Also, there are a few characters that you think are the bad guys, but then you're rooting for them a few times and think, well, maybe they're the good guys, but then you know they're not, or do you? It shows that nothing is black and white, that there are a lot of shades of gray. It's fascinating.

In short, I highly recommend it, and I think with all the positive press and reviews I've seen (on Amazon itself, Twitter, etc.), a season 2 is a very real possibility.

Otto likes this.
  7. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

I pretty much agree w/ WW2HistoryGal.

The plot is very engaging and the human element is interesting. Sort of gives some idea of living in Germany at the time maybe.

The ending is very climatic, but not a typical US movie ending. My brain hurt...in a good way.

8. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Haven't seen it but very much doubt anything written for the US TV public will contain an accurate portrayal of "living in Germany at the time", if it was anything like Italy under Mussolini it was 95% day to day plodding along, simply not interesting unless you are a fan of the likes of the Coronation Street series that AFAIK is more a British taste.

But the comments got me curious, the book was pretty good, it's definitely going in my "worth a try" list.

9. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

Just so you know, it doesn't follow the book. Characters have been added (Rufus Sewell's for one) and other characters have been changed (for example, in the book, Julianna and Frank are divorced - in the series, they're boyfriend and girlfriend).

Still, give it a go! :)

10. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

You can think what you want, but it is intriguing. It isn't a typical American show. It in my opinion does show the plodding along. It also reminds me of people in the Soviet Union, plodding along, doing what they need to do to not be noticed. Not speaking of the main characters, but of the everyday people. You might try watching it before making such a comment and then agreeing or disagreeing. Older people in Ukraine when in public tend to look down right in front of them not to draw eye contact and try to blend in with clothing. You can spot an American a mile away in Kyiv and not just the clothes. It's the personal body language. Americans have their eyes engaging and chins are up. They walk much more freely with arm movement. You can also pick out Italians as well, but much different than Americans and Italians.

11. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

12. Vepariga

Vepariga New Member

I love this series, What If? scenarios are great for storytelling. S1 was a good build up to the world and characters, S2 knocked it out of the park, loved it. smartly written and intriguing dialogue where you cant really predict is refreshing.

I believe Season 3 has been announced to air in November/December 2018.

Looking forward to it.