Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Map Reference

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by alan2, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. alan2

alan2 New Member

I am researching the 5th RHA who were based in Bures(Suffolk for a brief period, protecting a bridge over the River Stour
    Their orders give what appears to be map references (358525,332565)
    ie
    • Operation Instruction Number 55, dated 11 January 1941, stated: 6 Pounder at 358525 BURES will come under command 42 Division for employment on beach defences as directed by Commander 42 Division.
    • Operation Instruction Number 56, dated 13 January 1941: 22-24 February 15 Division to relieve 42 Division in SUFFOLK Sector.
    • Operation Instruction Number 58, dated 14 January 1941: Military bridging to be prepared to provide additional crossing over River STOUR South of SUDBURY approximately 332565 ... for training.

I read during this period the Army used the Cassini Grid as a reference - whatever this is?

Any idea how I can find these precice locations ?

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You might also ask at ww2t.com, lots of Empire folks over there. (Brother forum to this one.)

3. alan2

alan2 New Member

Thanks for the advice
    However , the latest topic on the "com" site was posted 3yrs and 8 months ago

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Hi Alan,
    welcome to the forums. This is the Cassini system-
    Cassini Grid - Wikipedia

The bane of any ww2 British researcher's life! Over twenty years ago i contacted the RE for help, and they very kindly sent me a set of acetate overlays to convert Cassini refs into NGRs. Never did make head nor tail of it though.
    I believe there are more modern methods, one is outlined in that link.
    If you have Facebook, try joining the Pillbox Appreciation Society, the World War Two Military Buildings, or the British Army 1939-45 groups. Someone there might already have done the sites you're interested in.

5. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

This is the right place. Just the Grid system is different! View: One-inch New Popular Edition, England and Wales: Sheet 149 - Colchester - Ordnance Survey One-inch to the mile maps of England and Wales, New Popular Edition, 1945-1947

This was the "purple grid" FieldenMaps.info / OS Map Series Illustrated Guide / 1-inch War Revisions I can.t find a set online. However, the National archives do have a hard copy which can be inspected if you visit Kew. Bury St Edmunds and Sudbury | The National Archives

There is a guide to converting Cassini Grids to UTM here https://www2.uwe.ac.uk/faculties/CAHE/Documents/Research/Regional-history/RH5Penny.pdf

enjoy

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    GRW likes this.
  6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Use this online tool to translate the coordinate to a map location. The default is the British Cassini Grid. Most of Suffolk is in the grid square "wM". Enter the coordinate as: wM332565 which will show a map location along the River Stour just south of Sudbury.

Echodelta_BritishCassiniGridMap.jpeg Echodelta_Sudbury_Stour_wM332565.jpeg

GRW likes this.
  7. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

What is your interest in 5 RHA?

8. alan2

alan2 New Member

Brilliant, cracked it
    One co-ordinate is in Bures which I knew about which is where the 5thRHA were based The co-ordinate 332565 confirms that
    5th RHA based in Colchester, protected the ECL and the GHQ lines at srategic points
    A Unit of 10/12 men who was armed with a Naval 6 pounder were stationed here circa 41 to protect the River Bridge on the Colchester to Sudbury main Rd
    This nodal point was also on the Easter Command Line
    The bridge was also wired for demolition
    Orders were to protect the crossing at all costs, if not blow it

Then there is a tale about a temp bridge being laid across the river which runs thro the village, which I thought may have been" Instruction 58 Military bridging to be prepared to provide additional crossing over River STOUR South of SUDBURY approximately 332565 ... for training.
    We are 5 miles south of Sudbury
    However the co-ordinate puts it 1 mile south of Sudbury and not in our village
    So the tale about the bridge may have been fiction.

Thanks all, that conversion and maps has proved very usefull

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 and GRW like this.
  9. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Well done, guys. Got those bookmarked now.

10. Owen

Owen O

He told you the wrong website.
    Not ww2t.com but WW2Talk

11. alan2

alan2 New Member

Thats more like it, that looks more active
    Here is a much better pic of the bridge
    The other 3 looked highy compressed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020