Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mardi Gras or Bust

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Slipdigit, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Well, Bobby (A-58) has badgered me for several years to make the drive over to Red Stick, LA and celebrate Fat Tuesday with him. I ran out of excuses this year, so the bride and I will be making the run this coming this weekend.

Bobby has invited us to the ball and we'll be watching him preside over the parade for the Krewe of Orion. Formal wear is required and I am most interested in seeing him dressed in something other than shorts and flip-flops.

I think beer might be served.

USMCPrice, Otto and Terry D like this.
  2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Looks good! :cool:

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Mardi Gras! Looking forward to seeing you and 58 in spandex... : )

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Pictures, I hope!!

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

It'll be big fun for sure. Really looking forward to it this year. We have a full parade line-up to include the 610 Stompers and the Marine Corps Band out of New Orleans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQ_32TDSbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-u_eEu4N24

CAC likes this.
  6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Those stompers are awesome! And the Marine band, is there a better marching band? I regularly watch the military tattoo (held in Edinburgh every year) and apart from the Scots bagpipes (with associated female dancers) The Marines are the best IMO...don't see them at the tattoo though (I think its only commonwealth countries).

7. Slipdigit

My uncle is a 610 Stomper. I look forward to seeing him dance.

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Wonder if there might have been some beer served to the Stompers? :)

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

They have a support vehicle that plays the music that they dance to. It also carries plenty of liquids to they can stay properly hydrated during their routine along the parade route. The route is 3 miles long, so proper hydration is a medical necessity.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

well Jeff, can't wait to see the pictures of you and A-58 . Mardi Gras is a big thin on this side of the Ocean too. Dates are scattered from February to March according to places and traditions. The biggest are

Rhineland (Germany) Limburg (Netherlands) Dunkirk (French Flanders) , Nice (France) , Venice (Italy ) among others, but in fact many local carnavals are scattered all over these countries. Have a great time!

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Just found Jeff and A-58 guys playing at the corner of 6th st and Neches .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaJZQWB7kzA

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I hate to say it but the Texas A & M band is pretty danged good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcn0v2QQdW4

PzJgr likes this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah you mob do take it to a new level...

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Military bands at Mardi Gras is a bit off topic for such a celebration imo. The intial Mardi Gras idea is originally religious with the celebration of the end of Lent, with disguises, brass bands and parties + parades. I suppose the march bands were added to the brass bands to make the parades bigger. I wonder when this military aspect started. Probably a few decades only. I have nothing against it though,

15. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

And Loosey Anna may get lascivious...

16. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

You'll have a great time Jeff. Make sure Bobby hooks you up with a sizeable quantity of Mardi Gras beads. You can holler at drunken women "show me your t*ts" and throw them beads when they willingly comply. It's tradition and beads are a de facto legal tender for these type things.
    Most people don't realize this but I'm actually a big animal rights activist and strive to see "puppies" freed whenever possible!

[​IMG]
    We used to live in Metarie, Slidell and finally in the Algiers section of Nawlin's right across the river from the French Quarter. You could ride the Canal Street Ferry from Algiers Point to Canal Street. When my dad was assigned to Marine Forces Reserve in New Orleans as an Inspector General we lived on the Naval Support Activity, Algiers and he worked on the other side of the river at the Naval Support Activity New Orleans when he was home, but he was gone most of the time inspecting Marine Corps Reserve units across the southeast.

[​IMG]

The Main Gate of Naval Support Activity Algiers-as I understand it it is now closed.

When you live down there you can hit one or more parades just about every day for over a month. The ones thrown by the Super Krewes are the best, you try and collect thrown doubloons and beads from all the different parades.
    When I lived in Baton Rouge we'd usually travel with the cousin's down to Nawlun's for some of the bigger parades. I've never been to one of the Baton Rouge (Spanish Town) ones but I understand they've become quite a bit wilder and now rival those in New Orleans.
    Anyway have a great time, let your hair down and enjoy.

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

FYI Skipper, military bands and the Marine Corps band in particular are higher sought after by the competing krewes in the area. I'm on the board of directors with the K of O (Krewe of Orion) and head up the parade group committee. I recruit all units in the parade other than the krewe's floats, and I started in August with requesting the USMC Band & Color Guard. They take in all their requests and study them, and make their announcements in Novemer of where they will perform. Same with the 610 Stompers. They're a premo unit as well. It's that competitive.

18. Slipdigit

My bride and I right as the ball is begining
    View attachment 25497

A couple of the floats. We were at the end of the parade and the floats, the bands and what-not came down through the middle of the party-goers.
    View attachment 25498
    View attachment 25499
    View attachment 25500

The 610 Stompers doing their thing to the Spice Girls' Wannabe. Yep, that is my uncle in the center, in focus
    View attachment 25501

The band
    View attachment 25502

We had a grand time, even with my wife's recent infirmity. I give it a 10/10-will go back again.

Bobby, you threw a great party and was a fantastic host.

I saw this peeking over the levee. I WILL be touring it the next trip back over there. The USS Kidd.

View attachment 25504

Attached Files:

USMCPrice, Biak and GRW like this.
  19. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Nice pictures but what about the beads man? What about the beads? And Those pictures!

20. Slipdigit

Awe shoot. We have a ton of beads. Don't know what we are going to do with them. Did not make any photos of those. Also, forgot to make a photo of Bobby in his costume. It was quite impressive, cape and all. He was on the second or third float and they stopped the parade to let him and few other well dressed dignitaries get off. He prowled the sidelines as the rest of the parade came through. Well, most of the parade. I'll let Bobby tell you what happened near the end of the parade if he wants to.