Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mardi Gras or Bust

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Slipdigit, Feb 7, 2017.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

"Cops" did a week on Mardi Gras, with pixelations as needed.

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3K
    As a younger fella, big concerts/parties were tolerable. Eventually made it to home base.
    Found huge celebrations to be a pain, as we'd get separated, inebriated and couldn't get home.
    As an old prairie boyo now- only want to go to folk festivals, small parties.
    Got caught up in the oilers/Flyers Stanley cup win/riot, and have never gone back into large street crowds.
    MG would be fun during the day, but would want to be close to home base at night.

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

Well come on to Mardi Gras in Baton Rouge then. It's much smaller and a great deal safer than going to the Carnival in New Orleans.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3K
    Yeah, would like that.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow Patron  

I'm not positive about this, but I think the 610 Stompers is the real reason that Baptists don't allow dancing.

A-58 likes this.
  6. toki2

toki2 Active Member

I am sitting on the balcony in my hotel in Funchal after watching the Madeira version of Mardi Gras. Tonight was a mad diverse parade of kids, political and sleazy floats. The political were parodies of Brexit, Mexican immigrants and yes Trump. The most bizarre spectacle was when we were downtown in the morning enjoying a coffee in the sun. A male dressed in a monk's habit with a devil's mask and a huge rubber penis. I thought it quite funny and children walking by dressed up as princesses and super heroes did not seem perturbed. Saying that, I would not have wanted my own children to have seen him. In the UK it would be seen as obscenity in a public place and likely a criminal offence. I find it quite ironic that these festivals are still timed six weeks before the moveable feast of Easter, yet they are the complete antithesis of the Christian origin. Our Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday are more in keeping with the feast before a Lenten fast but held mostly as a tradition rather than a religious requirement. I will ask a few locals if they still keep the fast after showing their all in public. Should be interesting!