Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Marine artillery unit posts some new records

Discussion in 'Military History' started by lwd, May 7, 2018.

1. lwd

lwd Ace

Artillery: The Four Ton Wonder

USMCPrice likes this.
  2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

Nice article but at least one error; "for the marines all their field artillery is towed. A five ton truck is used to tow the guns,". The Marine Corps doesn't use 5-ton trucks, the M-triple seven uses the Oshkosh MTRV 7-ton M-23/M-25 as it's prime mover. In fact the Marine Corps replaced all it's M-809 and M-939 5 ton trucks with the 7-ton (7.1t payload off road/15t payload on road) starting back in 1999. The Navy adopted the same vehicle for it's Seabee battalions. The US Army went a different path with its FMTV vehicles. As far as I know the LWPM program stalled out in around 2007 after delivery of only a few vehicles.
    The MTVR is a big beast of a truck and is well liked by the troops.

The M-777 was fielded by the Marine Corps about three years before the US Army decided to adopt it. It replaced the M-198 and at 9,300lbs is about 41% lighter than the 15.772lb. of the gun it replaced. In June 2012 G/2/11 1st Marine Division, fired the longest operational shot ever with the triple seven, hitting insurgents at 22 miles in Afghanistan.

3. lwd

lwd Ace

They do make mistakes like that occasionally. Wonder where they got the info from of if was just someones memory of how they did it.

Another example of them messing up (aside from some spelling and grammatical issues that I also find annoying) was in a discussion that involved the wind class icebrakers. They rather messed up the names and history of the same but in their favor that was incredibly complex for such things. Some of the ships were USCG then Soviet then came back to the USCG and may have gone back and forth between the USCG and the Navy a couple of times in there not to mention the Canadians building one. See:
    Wind-class icebreaker - Wikipedia

USMCPrice likes this.
  4. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

I wouldn't have keyed on it except the truck (7ton) entered service six years before the M-777 was first deployed. The 5-tons were gone and had been gone for years, including those in reserve units. The US Army has both 2.5 and 5-ton versions of its FMTV, but doesn't use the 7-ton MTRV (USMC/USN only), so I suspect the writer was familiar with US Army vehicles and assumed that the Marine Corps used the same types.

[​IMG]

USMC MTVR 7-ton

[​IMG]

US Army FMTV M1083 5-ton