Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Marine Unit Designations

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by USMCPrice, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Read this thread: Signature Banners / Virtual Ribbon Sets

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I went out to the site and didn't understand some of the abbreviations, I don't think its a Raiders thing, I think its a custom set of abbreviations to give information on each Raiders service. In the case you mentioned, if I were to make a guess it would be 1st Bn Headquarters. The Raiders were originally raised as independant battalions. 1st and 2d Raiders each had a structure different from one another, Edison's 1st Raiders were structured more along lines similar to that of a conventional rifle battalion, Carlson's 2d Raiders were more lightly organized and were better suited to guerrilla operations or operating behind enemy lines.

You are correct TOE (Table of Organization and Equipment) is how the unit is organized. It specifies how many personnel, specific billets and authorized equipment. The Marine Corps went through four TOE's during WWII, each designed to give the unit more combat power, flexability, better command and control, introduce new weapons systems, and to reduce redundant functions. The TOE at the start of the war was the Series D-100 TOE, this was replaced by the E-Series, F-Series and G-Series.

To give an example we'll look at the basic squad using the E-Series that was in effect for Tarawa and the F-Series that was first used in the Marshalls campaign:

Series E-Rifle Squad: 12 men
    Squad Leader/Sgt/M1 Rifle
    Asst. Squad Leader/Cpl/M1 Rifle
    2 x automatic rifleman/Pvt-Pfc/M1918a1/a2 Browning automatic rifle
    2 x assistant automatic rifleman/Pvt-Pfc/M1 carbine
    1 x Rifleman-Grenedier/Pvt-Pfc/M1903 Springfield and grenade launcher
    5 x Riflemen/Pvt-Pfc/M1 Rifle

In this structure the squad could function as two teams, the first controlled by the squad leader and the second by the assistant squad leader, each team would have 1 x automatic rifleman and 1 x Assistant automatic rifleman. One team would contain the rifleman grenadier and two riflemen, the other three riflemen. So you had two six man teams. The reason for the grenadier being armed with the 1903 Springfield was because it used the M1 grenade launcher, which was in service and the M7 grenade launchers for the M1 were not available until late 1943.

Series F-Rifle Squad: 13 men
    Squad Leader/Sgt/M1 carbine and grenade launcher
    3 x Fire Team Leaders/Cpl/M1 Rifle and grenade launcher
    3 x automatic rifleman/Pvt-Pfc/M1918a1/a2 Browning automatic rifle
    3 x assistant automatic rifleman/Pvt-Pfc/M1 Rifle and grenade launcher
    3 x riflemen/Pvt-Pfc/M1 Rifle and grenade launcher
    1 x M1A1 Flamethrower and No. 5 demolition kits

The squad was organized into three, four man fireteams, each containing a fireteam leader, automatic rifleman, asst. automatic rifleman, and a rifleman. In this organization the squad leader controled the three fireteam leaders and each fireteam leader controlled the other three marines in his team.

If you look at the differences you'll see that the change achieves four of the five criteria I mentioned earlier:

"give the unit more combat power
    ,"-The new squad had an additional BAR an increase of 33%, two more rifles (the automatic riflemen) and ten vs. one grenade launchers.

"flexability,"-
    You now have three vs two maneuver elements. If maneuvering against a position the normal tactical employment would be, one team laying down suppressive fire and the second maneuvering to close with and destroy the target or to close the distance where it can assume the base of fire role and allow the other team to maneuver forward, leapfrogging and alternating until the target was neutralized. With three maneuver elements you have many more options, one base of fire and two maneuver, two bases of fire and one maneuver (this could be advantageous when attacking a particularly strong position, both bases of fire could be emplaced in seperate areas and fire concentrated on one point, whereas the return fire must be split between the two base of fire positions and the team maneuvering to close on or flank the enemy position. Or all three alternating in the movement, base of fire role, leapfrogging forward.

"better command and control,"-Now each leader has greater control and the ability to more easily direct his marines. In the Series E TOE each leader (squad and assiastan squad leaders) had to control five other men. With the Series F TOE this was reduced to three. The squad leader contolled the three team leaders, the three team leaders controlled the other three marines in their respective fireteams.

"introduce new weapons systems,"-With the Series F unit the M7 grenade launcher was added as were organic assault engineer capabilities with the addition of the flamethrower and demoliton charges.

I'm not really sure what you're asking here.

Three fireteams to a squad--three squads to a platoon--three platoons plus weapons platoon and Headquartes platoon to a company--three rifle companies, a Headquarters Co. and a Weapons Co. to a battalion--three battalions, a Headquarters and Service Co. and a Regimental Weapons Co. to a regiment--Three regiments, plus an artillery regiment, HQ Bn, and Divisional troops formed a division.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks Bob and Brad. Despite the glaze covering my eyes, The Marine parlance is beginning to make sense. I understand the company designation because it is similar to the army. It does clear up some confusion. I'm not going too worry about fire teams and platoons because that is more detail than I need.

4. 36thID

36thID Member

Thanks for Bob and Brad ! The explanation reflects the philosophy of the Marines. The fact you are a rifleman first, speaks highly of the USMC. Most of the historical accounts you read from a Marine, they say the impost important man in the world is the one next to you. After 10 years reading about the famous 5th Army of Mark Clark, he should have taken some notes.

SymphonicPoet.... Your grandpa sure has my respects. A 1st Raider ! The things he must have seen.....

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

belasar likes this.
  6. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Series F-Rifle Squad: 13 men
    Squad Leader/Sgt/M1 carbine and grenade launcher
    3 x Fire Team Leaders/Cpl/M1 Rifle and grenade launcher
    3 x automatic rifleman/Pvt-Pfc/M1918a1/a2 Browning automatic rifle
    3 x assistant automatic rifleman/Pvt-Pfc/M1 Rifle and grenade launcher
    3 x riflemen/Pvt-Pfc/M1 Rifle and grenade launcher
    1 x M1A1 Flamethrower and No. 5 demolition kits

The squad was organized into three, four man fireteams, each containing a fireteam leader, automatic rifleman, asst. automatic rifleman, and a rifleman. In this organization the squad leader controled the three fireteam leaders and each fireteam leader controlled the other three marines in his team.

Good info, but I'm curious - who handled the flamethrower and demolitions? These would require special training; as you say they were usually engineer weapons. I've read that the army at least used two-man teams for flamethrowers, with the second man carrying spare cylinders and a rifle or carbine to provide cover for the flamer.

I read a few years ago that the Corps was experimenting with an eleven-man squad, two fire teams of five, which enabled each team to have a SAW and a grenadier with an M203? Do you know anything about that, what happened with it?

7. formerjughead

Maybe it's early and I am still hung over; but, I don't understand that question.

Let's keep this WW2 for now.....we'll deal with modernization later.

8. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

As I recall the stories about Okinawa, the flamethrower was integral at least at the platoon level, if not the squad level. In the series E organization USMC price lists you need to the Cpl and Sgt to reach 12. By the series F there are 13 men listed without the Squad Sgt, 3 each of fire team leaders, SAWs, assistant automatic riflemen (who I would guess are generally carrying ammunition and spare parts for the SAW), and riflemen, and one person with the flamethrower and the demo charges. Would I be correct in guessing that the sergeant was no longer organic to any particular fireteam, so as to be independent, and that he no longer counted towards the squads nominal strength of 13? Was the flamethrower assigned to a fire team, or kept in a kind of reserve to move up and assist where necessary? Additionally, may I ask how G series differs from F?

9. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Maybe it is too early in the morning ;) It's not that complicated - the F organization shown has 13 men including the sgt/squad leader, each of whom has specific weapons assigned. Then there's the flamethrower and demo not associated with any individual. Hopefully USMCPrice can shed some light.

10. formerjughead

Now I am tracking.....it would have been one of the riflemen. Seems there was at least one rendition of the squad make up where there was an asst. flamethrower guy; the problem with having an assistant flamethrower guy is that if the flamethrower guy took a hit, it would also take out his assistant. I don't think there were too many guys willing to strap on a flamethrower after they had just seen their buddy go up in a puff of smoke.

11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Very good question! The TOE's were in order to remedy issues discovered in earlier battles, to introduce new weapons, make the combat units more lethal, and adjust to the changing nature of the war. For example there was a great deal of defensive fighting on Guadalcanal, Iwo was mostly offensive. At first the flamethrower and demolition charge were the sole province of engineer units, as the need for more robust assets became evident additional assault engineer assets were added to the battalions and equipment to the rifle companies. To answer your question directly this equipment, plus bazooka's when they became available, were retained in the company HQ for use by the line units when they were needed. All personnel were cross trained and familiarized with the equipment. They were in addition to, not in place of the dedicated teams. Not as good as a dedicated engineer flamethrower team, but when needed it was there to be used. It also needs to be kept in mind that Japanese defensive positions and fortifications evolved over time and became more elaborate and formidable as the war progressed, requiring more assets to reduce them.

Series D-100 Engineer Regiment
    In the Series D divisional TOE there was an engineer regiment. During the war 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th Marines were these regiments. The regiment was composed of: the numbers are the totals for a unit and the numbers in parentheses are the numbers in the sub-units that make up the parent unit.

H&S Co.-272 men
    1st Bn/Engineer Battalion 614 men
    --HQ Co. (29)
    --Engineer Co. x 3 (195 ea)
    ----HQ Section
    ----Assault Engineer Platoon
    ----Construction Platoon
    2d Bn/Pioneer Battalion 743 men
    --HQ Co. (119)
    --Pioneer Co. x 3 (208 ea)
    3d Bn/Naval Construction Battalion (Seabees) 835 men-Attached by the Navy to the Division
    --HQ Co. (145)
    --Naval Construction Co. x 3 (230 ea)
    Total Strength 2465.
    *Note: One confusing point was that when initially formed the various elements had been given the divisions designation; 1st Engineer Bn, 1st Pioneer Bn (1st Division) 2d Engineer Bn, 2d Pioneer Bn (2d Division) etc., and the NCB Battalion had a two digit designation assigned by the Navy. When combined into a regiment their "technical" designation changed, thus 1st Pioneer Bn could also be called 2d Bn 17th Marines, or 2d Engineer Bn was also 1st Bn 18th Marines. In practice they were habitually called by their original designations to avoid this confusion.
    *Note: The Engineer Bn's HQ was very small due to their being designed, and in practice deployed as attachments to the regiments. An engineer company attached to each regiment, this company further broken down by a platoon being attached to each battalion.

Series E-100 Engineer Regiment(change in number of men compared to Series D in red)

H&S Co.-290 men (+17)
    1st Bn/Engineer Battalion 645 men (+31)
    --HQ Co. (60) (+31)
    --Engineer Co. x 3 (195 ea) (0)
    2d Bn/Pioneer Battalion 744 men (+1)
    --HQ Co. (120) (+1)
    --Pioneer Co. x 3 (208 ea) (0)
    3d Bn/Naval Construction Battalion (Seabees) 848 men (+13)
    --HQ Co. (158) (+13)
    --Naval Construction Co. x 3 (230 ea) (0)
    Total Strength 2527.

Note: Virtually all the increase came in the headquarters elements within the regiment. This was a result of additional and newer communications equipment and beefing up the internal supply capability. These were areas that appeared to be the units weak spot during the 1942 early 1943 combats. The E-Series took effect Corps wide on 15 April, 1943. Many units had converted earlier while they were in standup or re-building phases.

Series F-100 Engineer Regiment (Deleted) Seperate Engineer and Pioneer Bns.

With the F-Series, it was decided to do away with the Engineer regiment and return to seperate Engineer and Pioneer battalions. The reason behind the change was that while the division was rebuilding, the NCB was not available for employment elsewhere. Since, casualties were minimal within the Seabee units since their building projects were behind the front lines and combat was ancillary, they didn't need the lengthy rebuild time after a campaign. The NCB's were returned to the Navy where they were kept in a pool of around 100 battalions, and a battalion could be assigned to a Marine division from this pool when being committed to combat.

H&S Co.-Deleted
    Engineer Battalion 904 men
    --HQ Co. (307)
    --Engineer Co. x 3 (199 ea)
    ----HQ Section
    ----Construction Platoon
    Pioneer Battalion 745 men
    --HQ Co. (127)
    --Pioneer Co. x 3 (206 ea)
    Naval Construction Battalion (Seabees)-Deleted

As I stated earlier the Engineer Bn. was designed for habitual attachment to the infantry regiments. The breakdown for 2d Engineer Bn, 18th Marines at Tarawa is a good example (E-Series TOE at time of battle) of how they were employed (this goes to your flamethrower question).

An engineer company was attached to an infantry regiment, from this company an engineer platoon was attached to each of the three battalions. These platoons were further broken down to a section to each of the battalions three companies, and then to an assault engineer team assigned to each of a companies 3 platoons.

Engineer Assault Team
    (6 men)
    Team Leader-Sgt/Cpl-M1 carbine
    Flamethrower operator-Pvt/Pfc-Flamethrower/M1911 pistol
    Asst. Flamethrower operator-Pvt/Pfc-Shotgun
    Demolition Man x 3-Pvt/Pfc-M1 rifle

Equipment:
    -50 x .5lb charges TNT
    -50 x 2.25lb charges C-2
    -2 x M1 Bangalore Torpedoes
    -2 x 5 gal cans Flame Fuel
    -2 x spare tanks, hydrogen propellant
    -2 x AN-M14 incendiary grenades
    -6 x Mk.IIIA1 demolition grenades
    -100 x non-electric, blasting caps
    -100ft. Det. cord
    -50ft. Time Safety Fuse
    -1 x handcart, M3A4

In March 1944 with the F-Series TOE all engineer regiments were ordered dissolved. 18th Marines (2d Div), 19th Marines (3d Div) and 20th Marines (4th Div) were not immediately dissolved because of the upcoming Marianas campaign and their being incorporated into the scheme of maneuver. The Seabee Bn was still assigned, but not attached to the divisions. These regiments went out of existence as soon as the operations concluded.

Series G-100 Engineer and Pioneer Bns. change from F-Series

Engineer Battalion 904 men to 875
    --HQ Co. (307) to (275)
    --Engineer Co. x 3 (199 ea) to (200)
    ----HQ Section
    ----Construction Platoon
    Pioneer Battalion 745 men to 740
    --HQ Co. (127) to (134)
    --Pioneer Co. x 3 (206 ea) to (202)

In the F and G-Series TOE's additional organic assault/demolition assets were incorporated into the rifle battalions and companies. That's where you'll get the rest of your answer.

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

No the squad leader/Sgt. was the 13th man in both F and G Series TOE's. The assistant automatic rifleman helped hump ammo for the BAR, provided security and spotting for the BAR man, filled magazines when laying down heavy suppressive fire, helped clear stoppages, and was ready to take over if the BAR man became a casualty. Your automatic weapons tend to draw a good deal of attention from the enemy. He also served as a rifleman when not engaged in his primary duty of supporting the BAR man. It wouldn't really be a SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) since there were actually three of these within the squad, maybe a FAW then ;).
    You are correct in that he was no longer organic to any particular fireteam, his job now was to coordinate his teams. In the Series-E TOE he not only coordinated his team with the team led by the assistant squad leader, he also had to control the other 5 men in his team. Too much for one man to do with maximum efficiency. Again, he did count towards the 13 man total in the F-Series.
    At the Fireteam, squad and platoon level there really was no difference, the differences were incorporated into the company level up. You are correct, the equipment was assigned to the squad, but transported and retained at the company level. When the mission required it, the squad leader would designate two men to serve as a flamethrower team. He could use a particular fireteam for the task or pull a man from a couple of fireteams to do the job. Whatever was most practical based upon his particular situation.

13. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I saw one website that ID'd one Korea War unit as the antitank ''company''...to my knowledge, there were no AT companies, but AT platoons, as my father was in...I was in a mortar platoon of the ''weapons'' company....