Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Me 109 Vs Spitfire comparision

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Tomcat, May 11, 2008.

1. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Hey I know this has been done to death but I found a website about trials between the two aircraft and with statments both from British pilots on the ME109 and the German Pilots on the Hurricane and Spitfire. It is quite interesting. There is also quite a few combat diaries from both sides used in comparing the aircraft.

Spitfire Mk I versus Me 109 E

It is a very interesting read.

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

PSSSTTTTTT...tomcat. I think this belongs more in the WWII weapons Forum :p. :D

3. Tomcat

Opps you are right:) I wasn't even thinking where I was putting it.

4. bf109 emil

bf109 emil Member

Perhaps these tests are taken with the older 2 speed propellors, as opposed to the ones which where fitted onto the Merlins prior to the Battle of Britain, would be like comparing a MKII to a bf109a/b/c with Jumo engines...

5. Tomcat

The comparision is between the Spitfire Mk1 and the Me 109E, both used in the BoB, the RAF fighters in the BoB had the negative G issue, it was solved after, a tactic by a German fighter was to dive straight down and back up, both using the RAF negative G issue and the Me109 higher rate of climb to their advantage. The RAF pilots often rolled over to chase the 109's in a split S rather then having the engine cut out.

6. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

This is fascinating. Nice post.