Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Medals awarded in WW2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Geoff Wood, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Geoff Wood

Geoff Wood New Member

I am having trouble finding what medals were awarded to servicemen who were killed in action. I am researching local servicemen for a museum. I use 'Find My Past' and 'Forces War Records' but cannot find the medals. Please can anyone help?

2. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Member

WW2 medals with their eligibilty parameters can be found here - Medals: campaigns, descriptions and eligibility

It will obviously depend on where they were and in most cases how long they were there for. To be honest the site you mention FWRecords only provides information that is already publically available. The medals awarded are usually written up on their service records - if you are looking to obtain service records for a WW2 then you can ONLY obtain them from one source Request records of deceased service personnel all you need is there except a death certificate, but if as you say he was killed in action then finding their CWGC data page you can download a .pdf file that serves as a death certificate, and you will need a cheque for £30

TD