Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Medals issued to Soldiers?

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by JoshArterburn, Sep 16, 2010.

1. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

My grandmother recently showed me a box containg, My grandfathers buttons, pins, patches and medals form his time in the military. My question concerns the medals, On his DD214 it says he was awarded a Good Conduct Medal, the Asiatic Pacific Theater Campaign Medal with 1 Bronze star. But she only has the Good Conduct Medal/Ribbon and the Asiatic Pacific Theater Campaign Ribbon with a tiny star on it. My question is, Where the medals presented to the soldiers at the time of there discharge? Or did they have to request them?

I'm just confused why she would have 1 medal but not the others.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Sounds like she has everything except for the Asiatic Pacific Theatre medal. The Bronze Star is the tiny star that is on the Asiatic Campaign ribbon and is a campaign star. You can contact NARA and recieve a replacement set of medals and ribbons.
    Veterans and Their Families

He should also be entitled to the WW2 Victory Medal and a few others depending on how much time he spent before shipping overseas.

Brad

JoshArterburn likes this.
  3. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Oh ok, I was under the impression that the Bronze Star would be a separate medal.

According to his DD214 his entry into active service was Oct. 12 1942 and he left for the Aleutian Islands on Apr. 24 1943.

Thanks for the info and link.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Josh, you are confusing two different medals. The Bronze Star was an award for valor. It looks like this
    [​IMG]

The ribbon looks like this [​IMG]

The small bronze star on a theater ribbon signified participation in a major campaign, in your grandfather's case, the Aleutians. The ribbon looks like this [​IMG] and would have a small bronze star device in the center. For details, go here Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

As an example, here is the European-Middle Eastern-African ribbon with two battle stars and an amphibious landing arrowhead.
    [​IMG]

5. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Oh I get it now, And I believe I am gonna request replacement medals. I just read in another thread that after the war they were short on bronze so soldiers where only issued the ribbons. Meaning my grandfather never got to see all his medals. The thing is I have a request out to them now about his records, Should I wait for that be finished before I request the medals? Also will they just send me everything he is entitled to, Or do i need to list them? Cause the WWII Victory Medal is not listed on his DD214.

6. LRusso216

I don't think it will hurt to make a separate request for his medals, and mention the WW2 Victory Medal. The worst that happens is you wind up with two sets of medals.

7. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Alright, Thanks!

8. formerjughead

9. LRusso216

I'm not sure of that, Brad. The criteria seems to exclude Alaska.
    The American Theater included North America (excluding Alaska) and South America.
    American Campaign Medal

10. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I don't know the procedure, but I am certain that he is entitled to the WWII Victory Medal. He also may be entitled to recieve the American Campaign Medal (American Campaign Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and the Army of Occupation Medal if he was stationed in Japan on post-war occupation duty.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If he is entitled to receive all of these, his ribbon bars would be arranged as follows: Good Conduct medal, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal with bronze star, WWII Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Good luck!

11. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

After I read your post I searched and that was one I thought might be possible as well.

I found that on Gruntsmilitary.com and it looks like your right

Thanks for showing me that. But he was never stationed in japan, So the army of occupation doesn't fit, Its still cool to see.

12. George Patton

Not a problem - just trying to be helpful. I would still look into the American Campaign medal, though. The gap between the time he enlisted and his deployment date was roughly 6 months - there is a chance that his unit was garrisoned in the US somewhere. To be eligible, he would've had to have been stationed in the US for a total cumulative period of 1 year. If the Aleutians was his only operation, there is a good chance his unit was again stationed in the US after it, and these two combined may be enough to meet that requirement. It can't hurt to ask anyway.

13. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Your right I don't know why it slipped my mind. he returned to the US on Dec.16 1944 where he stayed till he was officially discharged on Oct.12 1945. So that means his total service in the US was roughly 1yr 4 months.

14. formerjughead

I dunno Lou, we seem to have a contradiction:
    I will yield to the possibilty that Wikipedia is wrong though.

15. George Patton

Here is (similar) information from another source:

Factsheets : American Campaign Medal

It looks like the "one year" condition is accurate.

16. formerjughead

Reading through that it looks like you can be outside CONUS (OCONUS), even in a transient status for 30-60 days and still qualify for the award. 1943 Alaska was most definitly OCONUS.

I would ask ......worst they could do is say no.

17. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Your right, I added it in the request, All I have to do now is mail the verification signature today and wait patiently. I'm hoping by the time they get here I will have a suitable display case for them.

18. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

That's great news, josh..

19. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Thank's, And I know I said wait patiently but thats gonna be hard. I'm to excited I cant wait to see them and show them to my grandma.

20. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Not to be a stickler...but the Bronze Star is awarded more for Meritorious Service than Valor. To be an award for Valor it comes with the "V" pin that is worn on the ribbon itself.