Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Medic Kepi collection

Discussion in 'Collections' started by Skipper, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Here is part of my medic Kepi collection. These are scarce and fragile officer M-35 képis, initially made for parade only but also worn on the field. As a result the fragile velvet cover is the firs tpart to be altered in case of rain and humidity. Full velvet fitted medicképis are quite rare , much harder to get than German DRK gear for example. However due to thier largerly unknown status it is still possible to find one from time to time because people won't collcet what they are not aware of.

Colours of velvet goes as follows:

carmine red and yellow rank tabs = doctor
    purple = dentist
    green = pharmacist
    carmine red and white rank tabs = vet

ranks are as follows = (1 hardly existed because medics with képis are usually officers)

2 stripes around the kepi = Lieutenant
    3 stripes = Capitaine
    4 stripes = Commandant
    5 stripes = Lieutenant Colonel

[​IMG]

Lieutenant medic with velvet in excellent condition. This was sold to me in a hat box and was found inside an estate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Commandant kepi but with part of the velvet left only. This is a scarce kepi however and it's nice enough to have it as such . The inside is perfect

[​IMG]

dentist lieutenant képi . damaged condition and was all rotten and smashed befroe I found it under a pile of charcoal in a barn. After some restoration it looks better. The puprple velvet is still missing. I colored it (temporary until I find new velvet) . This kepi was in such a bad condition that it seemed hopeless to restore, but the bakelite type frame and cloth made it possible to wash (unlike the carboard framed ones) . The bakelite is broken in the front and sharp edges torn the cloth, but I still managed to get it back in shape and to sew the inside (silk and leather) . It was given to me so it will be a nice one until Ifind a perfect condition version.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Nice collection Skipper, hope you get a chance to expand it even more.....which Im sure you will, with all the fairs you visit!

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I will Andy, it's a matter of time , i especially want a pharmacist and and a vet one