Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mein Kempf

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Revere, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    have any of you read it or anything i dont know where to get a copy

2. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually, it's "Kampf." I tried reading it a long time ago, but I got seriously lost. At the time, it made little or no sense. One of these days, I'm going to try it again.

3. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Im not touching that book with a 60 foot pole , all copies should be burned :x

4. sovietsniper

sovietsniper New Member

via TanksinWW2
  5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually, it's pretty good that it's still available nowadays so that everyone can openly and individually discover the flaws and nonsense of Hitler's thoughts, as well as the utterly boring read the book really is. :wink:

6. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    o i just whanted to read it i wouldnt get hooked on a book from a sick man like that

7. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I had this sort of conversation with the head librarian a couple of months ago over a "physics book" (Has Hawking Erred? by Gerhard Kraus, my review for Amazon is at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 5?v=glance, you should be able to work out which one is me, from my "name" here and surnames on the list :lol: )
    I wanted Kraus's book burnt, oops, that's given me away!. But I wouldn't do the same to Mein Kampf, for the following:
    I came up with a "taxonomy of books"
    is it true
    is it valid
    and a couple of other things. Mein Kampf is "true" inasmuch as it is the way things were seen by a man who influenced the twentieth century, and is therefore worth reading just to try and understand his mind set. (Kraus's book is pure rubbish and is neither true nor valid).
    I read Mein Kampf one day (at work - it was a slow day :lol: ) and found it fascinating and slightly incoherent, but it didn't give me much insight into his "reasoning"

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nice review, it looks like the book was about as popular with everyone else who bothered to review it!

9. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Except for the first three guys to review it :eek:
    It always makes me laugh when someone claims that a book on a subject such as relativity makes the subject easier to understand and is therefore more likely to be right when it contains little to no maths. It suggests to me that the reviewer has no mathematical or science training and therefore goes with the "new overthrowing theory" simply because he can't be bothered to do the work to understand the genuine subject.
    My objection to the book (because the librarian asked if I objected to von Daniken's works) is that it gets filed under science/ physics in the Dewey decimal system - von Daniken goes under 000 (IIRC) along with the other "wierdo" books. If someone who didn't know much science picked it up in a library they'd assume that it was a genuine scientific treatise and an alternative to Einstein/ Hawking, pah, the Teletubbies have more scientific relevance :lol:
    There's another due out called "The Final Theory", chapter one is available on the net for download and is equally flawed...

10. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I suppose if it's burned, there will be another idiot and book that will say something idiotic, well it was written during a desperate time so it was well recieved I guess, but I think it was future acts by the party that got the peoples support , or the 40% anyways.

11. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i dont think we would forget only after 60 years or would we? :(

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I wouldn't be so sure, in the UK and Europe their are "Holocaust deniers", even some fairly respected figures, such as the formerly respected proffesional historian David Irving, who will claim with various degrees of conviction and venom that the Holocaust was an Allied claim or creation set up to discredit their Nazi opponents.

Irving became discreditted largely when he lost his libel case against Deborah Lipstadt the authoress of the book "Denying the Holocaust".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 50-1980669

I haven't read it myself, but I would suggest that at least in pro-German/pro-Nazi/neo-Nazi circles some people are not just able to forget, but willing to complete re-write this phase of history to suit themselves.

13. Zhukov_2005

Zhukov_2005 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have read very little of Mein Kampf, but what I did read was very interesting and I wish to read the rest, even though former readers describe the latter half of the book comparable to mowing your lawn with a pair of scissors.