Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Meteorite Hits Russia

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by 36thID, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 36thID

36thID Member

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Somebody needs to take down the "Hit Me" sign.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Ok , someone in Russia has got to stop eating beans and drink beer :D

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I bet that when that sonic boom cracked a lot of people crapped their coo-lots! It scared me just listening to it and I knew it was coming!

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Kind of takes away the worries about this one: While you were working: An asteroid just flew by - CNN.com

An asteroid passed relatively close to Earth around 2:24 p.m. ET Friday. As scientists had been predicting all week, it did not hit.
    A different and unrelated small asteroid entered the atmosphere over Russia on Friday, hours before the much larger asteroid's fly-by, injuring about 1,000 people. Scientists say that incident was a pure coincidence.
    The larger asteroid, called 2012 DA14, never got closer than 17,100 miles to our planet's surface.

Stargazers in Australia, Asia and Eastern Europe could see the asteroid with the aid of a telescope or binoculars. At the Gingin Observatory in Australia, the asteroid appeared as a bright white streak as viewers watched a live NASA video feed.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've seen the videos several times. It's still scary stuff. It wasn't even very big.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

1200 are say to have been injured by broken glass. 41 are still in hospital according to the news on TV

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I'd heard that defense shot down some bits? Way to go Russia...Is it possible to shoot a meteor? If they can hit artillery/icbm's?

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The Soviet air defense ministry couldn't detect nor shoot down that Cessna that was being flown by the German kid Matias Roost. He even landed in Red Square so I highly doubt they could detect and shoot down a meteor. I doubt anyone could. Bruce Willis could land on it, drill a hole in it and blow it up with a suit case sized a-bomb though!

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Nope, it was completely a surprise to them. As it would be to us as well probably, a bus sized object moving at tens of thousands of miles per isn't going to be either detected or attacked in time. But that's ok, there is a politician in Russia who is claiming loud and long that this wasn't a meteor at all. It was an American secret weapon, and this was it's trial run! I wish we had a bus sized "anything" that could move at that sort of speed!!!

I found the size and speed on another spot, and this thing was not only pretty small (about 50 feet across); it was really cooking along at an estimated speed of 33,000 mph.

11. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Funny how the news was comparing it to the Tunguska Event. Somehow a bunch of broken glass and dirty drawers doesn't, in my mind, equate to 850 square miles of forest leveled.

'Course, the pun-dits are already coming out with after-the-event images: Russian Meteor

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Ia think the comparison was in that this was also a meteor that exploded before it reached the ground, not in effects per se. As an interesting aside, did anybody else notice that the city mentioned had been nicknamed "Tankograd" during WW2 as it was one of the largest production centers for the T-34.

13. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Certainly was Clint...Fylingdales...didn't even see it coming...So we in west with our kit seemed to miss it too.

14. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

And if I'm not mistaken it was approaching from the North East? If so the Earth is traveling at 66,000 MPH and the closure rate would be close to 100,000 mph :eek: Until it hit the atmosphere anyway.

15. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Good job it broke up, or I'd be wearing my parka now wandering what all these refugee columns were going past my fields...T Rex can keep his hands off my sheep...I'm stocking my cave out as we speak...

16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Zhirinovsky is the same guy that wants to invade Alaska and take it back.

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Why? We didn't steal it, we bought "Seward's Folly" from them and they were happy to unload it on us. Talking about regaining lost territory, they should get with Mexico and double team us then. That would make a great movie. Wait a minute, they already did one like that in the 80s called "Red Dawn". Never mind....

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Poppy, is your "Post New Thread" button malfunctioning again? ;)

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'm glad someone else noticed that too....