Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Militaria Buyers Beware: Pawel Nowak/Seaquest Antiques

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by sirplus, Nov 28, 2009.

1. sirplus

sirplus recruit

I don't normally do this but I wanted to advise everyone of potential scams as I was scammed out of $700 by Pawel Nowak of Poland /Seaquest Antiques. He contacted me about buying some WW2 helmets from him. Of course I was leary but after a few emails from him I kinda started trusting him (see below)....After which he offered to send him half of the payment first and the second half when the helmets arrived...I wired $700 in august and since no helmets, no response to any of my emails and of course no $700....also is a pic of Pawel Nowak (at least that is what he sent me)

One email sent from PAwel Nowk on 8/3/09

Thank you for your answer. I have got these items as a payment for my archival research work. But I also detect some places with my metal detector and I have found some items personaly. I am an archivist and I live in Poland (EU). I am 34 and I was educated in the University of Lodz (International Public Law Faculty). But my main interest is archival research. Diving and sailig also. I spend a lof of time in the archives and museums. Where I have a lot of friends. For example I know Cmdr. Ltd. David Watters who was a Deputy Director in National Maritime Museum in London. I have also friends in Ministry of Defence in UK. I am sending to you some of my credentials and references I have got in English archives. I hope it will help to trust me a little.

If you have an interest in the helmets, yes - actualy I have 8 helmets in my collection. Had more but I gave a few to my friend who also collected such items. And I could have a proposal for you which I think could be fair and reasonable. If you will spend a half of the payment - I will send the items (the items you choose) to you and you will pay the ballance as soon as you receive them. I think that is a fair and reasonable proposal

Frankly, I am looking for someone I could cooperate in the future as I can get more genuine items from my close friends. If you are looking for any special item - let me know and I will look around.
    I am waiting for your answer.
    All the best.

Pawel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr. S

Mr. S Member

This guy has been at it for a while. Sorry to hear he swindled you out of 700 bucks.
    But I have to say that most collectors I know are very very wary of dealing with ex eastern block sellers. For this type of thing.I always buy from reputable sources such as in the US, UK and western europe. Pay by paypal unless you know the seller is good, that way you can file a claim if anything goes pear shaped. I doubt thats even him in the photo. What a ................. ...................
    by the way welcome to the forum.
    regards John

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Sorry to hear this Sirplus. Scammers are evreywhere, the polish repros are a calimity for the collector world, the flood the market especially belt buckles and anything German in general , WWII or WWI

4. sirplus

sirplus recruit

I like the paypal idea, thanks. yes that way I can file a claim and I know paypal is pretty tough on non-deliverers. Thanks for the shoulder guys, I just hope this prevents someone else from being taken.
    steve

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

6. stewy

stewy Member

Nowak's trawling all the forums of late looking for new members to email. If anyone you haven't emailed first emails you. Chances are it's him in one of his alias' "Kaspian" being one of them:mad:. Stewy

7. sirplus

sirplus recruit

Great info! good to know

8. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

The PayPal claim will only get paid IF the seller still has a balance in his/hers PayPal account. While PayPal may side with you and award you a refund, it will ony process if the seller has the funds to do so. In most cases, the funds are long gone...you will be left with nothing more than a 'morale' victory from PayPal. If you have a major credit card (Visa/Master Card) that is the way to pay because you can report the fraud and your CC company will instantly refund you the money and seek it's own refund from the seller.

9. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Sorry to hear about your loss sirplus. As a collector I feel your pain. I have used paypal for years and have always had luck even bought my jeep through it. I hope your future purchases are less troubling good luck.

10. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Sorry to hear you've been scammed. It's a real shame you didn't google this chaps name before dealing with him as people have been having problems with him for a good few years, and a lot of those problems are listed on the first page of a google search.

It won't get your cash back but you might find it useful to report his illegal activity to your nearest Polish embassy, pointing out that this chap is very likely evading tax on his criminal income, as well as your disappointment with Poland as a whole in allowing this chap to continue ripping people off. Your email should result in some investigation.

good luck

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thi scumbag already tried it here a few times. I was the first contacted by IT here a few months ago and reported it to Jeff and he blasted the sucker to kingdom come ;-))

12. Recceswind

Recceswind Member

Hello,

"Pawel Nowak" is a very common name in Poland. It's like "John Smith". In my opinion it's not a one guy. It must be a very well organised criminal group. Documents of the real "Pawel Nowak" must have been stolen or they are a fake.

I'm really surprised that you haven't already informed your local Police about "Pawel Nowak's" scams. Of course you can also send such information to the Polish Police or to any Polish prosecutor. They are obliged to help. I can translate your letters into Polish.

Best greetings from Poland (I'm sorry for my English),
    Recceswind
    P.S. It doesn't matter where you buy items - it can be Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, USA. The most important is who are you trading with.

13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Recceswind,

Thank you for your post and the good information you have provided. Also, thank you for you offers to assist.

Your English is just fine, far better than any Polish that I might know.

14. Recceswind

Recceswind Member

BTW:

According to Polish law it's forbidden to mail or transport abroad any antique (what means "item older than 55 years") without special permission of the Minister of Culture. To receive such permission item must be checked by the independent expert. He has to asses its value. Permission won't be given only when item has a special value for the Polish culture/heritage.

Moreover special permission must be given when someone is going to send abroad an item which only looks like an antique (repros)!

So always ask for the permissions when buying antiques in Poland. It will let you avoid any problems.

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks for this useful information. You are right I know several honest dealers, it 's not a matter of nationality, distance makes scams less risky, that's all.

16. stewy

stewy Member

I've seen the above pic of Nowak,another favourite of his is a pic of him,mrs & son (actually thought to be his sister standing in for wifey). Or his so-called driving license. All same pics,whether it's more gang orientated i don't know but look out for pics of this guys face in many stances/situations. Stewy

17. Recceswind

Recceswind Member

Could you post his second photo or driving license?

18. stewy

stewy Member

I'll try & find them:). Just google his name;). Plenty out there on him. Stewy

19. Recceswind

Recceswind Member

I've found. His documents are really convincing.
    http://www.thirdreichmedals.com/pictures/pawel.html

It's interesting what does he need for a detailed map of the counties situated 75-100 km away from his town...

I need at least one person scammed by this guy (please contact with me per PM, I would like to ask for some details).

20. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Just to flag up that the well known scammer posing as militaria dealer known as "Pawel Nowak" is touting for business by email again, typically getting people's details from forums such as this one.

Details of his dodgy practices can be found here;
    http://www.ww2f.com/militaria/36916-militaria-buyers-beware-pawel-nowak-seaquest-antiques.html

and here;
    Pawel Nowak - Google Search

You've been warned!

Message Recieved;

Hello:
    I have some German Insignia/Medals from WWI and WWII and a few German helmets from WWI and WWII in a good condition. There are also German daggers (SS, SA and other). I have also a few bayonets and swords for sale: japanese arisaka, and three french bayonets: Chassepot, Grass and Lebel. I would like to sell them for a reasonable price. I also have a japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII century. If you could have an interest, please write directly to: luytjens1939@gmail.com

All the best.
    luytjens1939@gmail.com