Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Military Movies

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Brayden Allen, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Brayden Allen

Brayden Allen Member

As you can tell I haven't been on the forums in a good while. The reason is i've been busy doing alot of things such as work, school (especially b/c I graduate this year), and because i've been working on a new hobby/potential job opportunity that I really excited about. And that's where I pertains to this site. You see I have started to get into the film-making industry. Film-making meaning making projects such as video, short films, and full movies. And to connect it with this site I have decided that some of the films I want to make are about military and military history. In fact, i've already come up with an idea for a civil war short film/tribute video. I just wanted to know that you guys thought about this, and what you like about military movies and what you want to see in them so that I could add those features in my films. And also, what are you favorite military films, I personally have many of them.

Kai-Petri and JJWilson like this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello again Brayden! Good to see you around again, I too am pretty busy as I am graduating right along with you this year as well. That's great you're taking up potential film making and focusing on historical film making especially. I'm no expert in this field at all, but all I can say is be patient, and it's okay to have mistakes and shortcomings, it will only help you get better. As far as Civil war films go, I really enjoy Gettysburg, Gods and Generals, Glory, and the new, Free State of Jones. There aren't enough WW1 and Korean war films, so anything about those conflicts would be great.

Brayden Allen likes this.
  3. Brayden Allen

Brayden Allen Member

Ok, here's an update on my film work. I think that I have decided that one day I am going to start my own film company to make my films. I've been doing a good bit of researching and have found that I want to base my company very similar to Universal. I have even come up with a sort of business idea. If you'd like to hear it I'd love to share it. But anyways, because I am still mostly working by myself i've decided that I am going to upload my work to YouTube and other social media most of the time to gain more exposure. And because I really kind find anyone to act in my films yet, i'm just going to create films by using B-Roll or find someway to film myself. What do you guys think? And lastly, i'm also having some trouble coming up with a good name for my company. I want somethings that sounds good and that could be used as like a branding name, much like "NIKE" or "UNDER ARMOUR" or such. Some ideas i've come up with already are, using my name, Brayden Allen Studios/Productions, having like a military style, Battle Force Studios/Productions or Battle Rock Studios/Productions. What do you guys think?

4. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Battle Force Studios sounds good.

5. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Have you put any thought into attending a film school, or going to a university that has filmography and acting? You could learn priceless information and tips that way, I agree with Hessler, Battle Force studios is good.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

Some of the schools may also give you some good info on the business side of things. To often artists have trouble in that area.

JJWilson likes this.
  7. Brayden Allen

Brayden Allen Member

I am going to college for filmmaking. However, im not going to a full University b/c many of them are way too expensive. Plus, the best one I know for film is USC, out in California and that's just way too far to me since I live in South Carolina. I'm going to one the local technical schools in my area and am major in a field called Media Arts, that not only focuses on filmmaking but also on TV stuff as well.

JJWilson likes this.
  8. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Yes, I do like good military and/or war movies, as I think most everyone here does. Unfortunately there are not many good ones. Here is some of what I would like to see.

1. Cast only young actors in the roles. Most combat troops are 30 or younger, 18-25 being probably the most common age range in the infantry in almost every war. In The Wild Geese, practically all the cast were past 40 or even past 50--Burton, Richard Harris, Roger Moore. It was embarrassing to watch them.
    2. Put your cast through some rigorous physical training to sweat off the flab (not weight training--combat troops aren't mesomorphic body builders), and have them spend as much time as possible camping out in the field so that they lose that indoor look. Let them go without sufficient food for a while and don't let them sleep enough either. Let them get dirty and stay dirty, too, combat troops are seldom what we would call clean. (Weapons, by contrast, should be kept scrupulously clean.)
    3. Do your research. This applies not only to things like details of uniforms and equipment, but to everything else as well. Hire good technical advisors and listen to what they tell you.
    4. If your film is set in the past, remember that to be credible historical fiction must not only be accurate in physical details but also in the even more important areas of human personality and attitudes. The 19th century Americans who fought the Civil War did not think or speak as we do now, and their unspoken assumptions were not the same as ours. WWII is closer to us, but the people of the 1940s were also very different. Language was different too; in 1945, if people had a problem with something they said they had "a problem;" it was not an "issue." Good scripts and good acting must convey these differences. If this is done right, then the viewer will feel that he is really in a different time, not simply watching people of his own era dressed up in historical costumes.

That's all for now, I may have more later.

9. chibobber

chibobber Member

Did you or do you have the opportunity to intern with a studio? A little hands on is always a good thing.

10. Brayden Allen

Brayden Allen Member

chibobber I do have some friends/family who have connections with some. For example, my cousin's friend runs a company where they make commercials for big name companies. I have already been told that I could possibly do some stuff with them. Also, I was told that I could be "interning" with an athletic department at one of the Universities near where I live, doing video stuff.