Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

mini 14s posing as M1's

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by aquist, Feb 20, 2005.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    maybe this would be better in some other heading but when I was first into ww2 reenactment there were a fair number of farbs, or bone heads that came to battles with mini 14's because th sort of looked like M1's also cappers came with this gun called the Mark that resembled a thompson. lots of farby guns were being dragged into the battles likewise some idiots wore m65 field jackets etc.now it doesnt fly but there is a lot of blanks only replicas

2. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I was guilty too

Yeah I did it too I carried a S&W model 10 because essentially it is the same pistol as the Victory model but since then I have gotten wise. A Victory model was parkerized and had plain grips and a lanyard loop and it front sight blade looks like a half moon. so from now on I will not carry a model 10 I dont have it anymore anyway. besides I should have been an officer or NCO in order to pack a side arm. Of course I am now but I am really too old to be a GI

3. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    mabe there wasn't enough money for a m1?

4. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, the Mini-14 is similar to the M-1 carbine. Quite similar on the inside. M-1 carbines are also getting quite expensive for decent quality ones. Even the aftermarket clones are getting up in price.

5. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    either buy the right stuff or choose another hobby

yes M1 Rifles and Carbines are expensive,but to show up for a ww2 event carrying something other than a ww2 weapon or wearing something other than a ww2 uniform really doesnt make any sense and gets you branded as a farb. akin to something that crawled out from under a rock. the hobby of reenactment like military vehicle collecting has become a rich mans hobby.

6. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yep, it's definitely a rich man's hobby.