Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Miracle at St. Anna

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

I've already seen the movie, it's called The Big Lift.

It's about the post war Berlin Airlift. About three quarters of the way through the movie an air crewman is at a bar. He sees an older German man and follows him from the bar, for quite a ways. The Sergeant then puts a whupping on the German.

It turns out the German had been a guard at a Stalag where the Sergeant spent part of the war. The guard enjoyed depriving the sergeant and his contemporaries of food, then would beat them for fun.

The Sergeant is reprimanded for his actions, but let go with just a verbal warning.

2. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

Frank Miller wrote an excellent Elektra story on a similar story. Elektra is on a freighter, on which she figures out (too late) is rigged to blow up.

There are only two survivors-Elektra and a young man. It turns out the man is a Mossad agent on his way to kill a former Nazi. True to Miller form, we don't know if Elektra is going to kill the Nazi, or if she's working for him.

After they make it to the island where the Nazi is, they seek out the castle he's hiding in. After they break in, the Nazi kills the agent, then tells Elektra:"I'm sorry dear, didn't mean to intrude on your fun, it's just been so long since I killed a Jew."

Elektra then kills the Nazi.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

WWII still an open wound in Italy: US director Spike Lee
    Thu Oct 2, 8:38 AM ET

ROME (AFP) - US filmmaker Spike Lee answered accusations of twisting history in his new film "Miracle at St. Anna" with a charge Thursday that Italy has yet to heal the wounds of World War II.
    [​IMG]
    "The visceral reactions in recent days make me think that the deep wounds that opened in Italy during the Second World War have not healed," he said in a comment published by the daily La Repubblica.
    The film, which is set for general release in Italy on Friday, recalls the 1944 massacre of 560 civilians in the Tuscan village of Stazzema by retreating German soldiers.
    It shows a member of the resistance collaborating with the Nazis and failing to warn the villagers of the Germans' advance.
    Many veteran anti-Fascist partisans contest this depiction, and several dozen of them as well as survivors of the massacre staged a protest Wednesday in a town near Stazzema where an advance screening was held.
    "It is an erroneous version," author Giorgio Bocca, a veteran partisan, wrote in an editorial in Wednesday's La Repubblica, a left-leaning daily.
    Addressing Bocca in the comment, Lee wrote: "I am not the enemy of the partisans."
    He added: "The only fact that we all agree on is that 560 human beings were massacred by the Nazis. Beyond that, anyone can have his theory and his point of view."
    James McBride, author of the novel on which the film was based, said at a press screening on Tuesday that he was "very sorry if I have offended the partisans. I have enormous respect for them."
    He added however: "It is, after all, a work of fiction."

WWII still an open wound in Italy: US director Spike Lee - Yahoo! News

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Critics up in arms over Spike Lee's 'Miracle at St. Anna'

By NICOLE CARTER
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 11:39 AM
    [​IMG] David Lee 'Miracle at St. Anna'

Critics are raving about Spike Lee's latest film...raving mad!
    "Miracle at St. Anna" depicts the story of an all black brigade of soldiers that helped liberate Italy in World War II.
    Much of the film is centered around a massacre, in which Lee portrays the Italian Nazi resistance force as traitors, some eventually betraying the soldiers with the Nazis.
    "For Spike Lee the partisans who 'hit and then ran away' were responsible for the Sant'Anna di Stazzema massacre," ANPI, an association of resistance fighters from the war, posted on their Web site, as Lee tours Italy to promote the film.
    But the director makes no apologies for his film.
    "I would not allow anybody to tell me how to make a film, be it a partisan or the president of the United States," he said.

Critics up in arms over Spike Lee's 'Miracle at St. Anna'

5. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

Do you think Spke Lee might be offended if a truthful film was made of slavery, for instance, Africans selling Africans to slave traders?

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Lias-most likely (meaning your post above this one) ;-))

Also, I wonder why he never says anything against the Saudis for having slaves till 1967-including Africans? Hmmmm, very strange......

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

He is just a hypocrite. A Racist at best.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Aint that the truth. Im also glad that Clint Eastwood had the gonads to stand up to it in public and I still love what Eastwood said: "Shut his face."

9. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I wonder which move was more "fiction" "Miracle" or "Flags"?

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

You have thought that Lee would have made a movie that was more based on fact to try and dispute or show that the Blacks did play a active part in the war then just a "Story".

11. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

Of course, how else can he rag on the white man?

12. DarkIce

DarkIce Dishonorably Discharged

I've read early reviews that Spike Lee couldn't direct a battle scene if his life depended on it. I'm looking forward to Valkyrie and Inglorious Bastards a lot more.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

And we know what that answer is ;-D don't we? ;-D

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Yup. LOL ;)

15. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I guess to him all "Whites" are the same ? LOL

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I hear ya on both accounts. That guy sure is tunnel-visioned to the max.

Heh heh, this thread about his movie is probably more popular than the actual movie itself :lol: :lol:

17. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I have to agree with that LOL.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I wonder what his movie has made thus far? I bet he hasn't made much if any-of a profit.

19. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Estimated as of today is $6,334,000 . A little about half of that the opening weekend. Looks like its gone down quite a bit over the last 10 days. I think the budget was about 45 million.

20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

He sure wont be making a profit from this. Was it worth it to his ego?