Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MLB --broken leg on illegal slide

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by bronk7, Oct 11, 2015.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRHdO_cNr8

please review these angles of the Utley ''slide'' at the .10 mark...the base is WIDE open, yet he goes straight to the player not the bag! he is not going to the bag...he does a half hearted reach for the bag, after he is past it and hits the player...he clearly is concentrating on the palyer, to intentionally hit the player
    sure you can take out the 2B, but you have to make an effort toward the bag

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thanks for posting that link. I hadn't seen the third angle that is shown in this video. Having seen that angle, I would agree that Utley did go after Tejada without making a legitimate attempt to reach the base. Clearly a violation of rule 5.09 (a) (13).

Here is the rule 5.09 (a) (13) from the article you cited:

Having conceded that Utley's "action" (notice the rule doesn't use the word "slide") was wrong, the rule only applies if the player leaves the baseline and does not make an attempt to reach the base. The rule does not dictate how a runner must approach the base. They can run to it standing up. They can slide feet or head first. They can crawl on their hands and knees if they want to. The rule only requires that they remain in the base path and make an attempt to reach the base. Arguing over the right or wrong way to execute a slide is beside the point.

The writer of the above article goes on to give examples of other instance where other players (i.e. Chris Coghlan, Nick Swisher, Matt Holliday) recently made similar plays as Utley. The difference between these plays and what Utley did? They at least made an attempt to touch the bag. Holliday's is questionable, though. He started his late "action" right over the top of the base, taking out the second baseman on the other side of the bag. As far as I am aware, Holliday's "action" has not been ruled illegal by MLB despite the fact that he made virtually the same move as Utley.

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes, an ''effort'' or even ''fake'' to the bag, which is very weak here...you know, I'm very surprised the players haven't fought for stronger rules on this--look what happened! ..they make their living with their legs