Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mmmmm... beer

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by CrazyD, Aug 31, 2010.

1. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

So I posted something like this a while back, but after a couple pints, I'd really rather not be arsed out to search for it.
    A few of the old guard will likely recall this... even more than my WW2 studies, more the the motorcycles... I'm rather something of a beer geek.

I like beer.

Anyone else like beer? Have any favorites?

Tonight, from the CrazyD Publick House...
    (note- public not necessarily welcome)

Lagunitas Brewing (CA) Hop Stoopid. Pretty typical balls-out hoppy CA style double India Pale Ale. Loads of hops, mostly aggressive American varietals. Lots of sharp citrus flavors, heavy bitterness. Malt sweetness? Yeah. Maybe a little. But why bother? This is all about the hops, man!

Pretty Things Brewing (MA) Jack D'Or Saison. Interesting stuff. Saisons are farmhouse ales originating from Wallonia, a french-speaking area of Belgium. Traditionally- light, low alcohol, moderate to light hop presence, a little bit of dry funk. This one- hits the mark rather well, though definitely an American presence. Bit heavier than a traditional version, with a little bit more hop character. Still, hits all the right spots- super dry and crisp. Hops show a mildly spicy and floral character. Very clean and easy to drink.

One has to wonder if Urquhart and his Red Devils had found a nice stash of bottles of Saison... would things have turned out differently?

I refuse to believe that I'm the only one here who appreciates a cold frothy brew. Any other favorites? Any other stinkers?

:cheers:

(yeah, there's a reason I almost always use that smiley thing!)

Otto and Biak like this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG]

3. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

It's seems like your drunk…

4. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

One for the road ?

[​IMG]

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Tsunami Stout- Pelican Pub & Brewery
    Drakes IPA- "A Pint A Day Keeps the Scurvy Away"
    Miller High Life- Everyday Beer
    Guinness- Properly poured in the appropriate glass

6. OpanaPointer

Anything but Mudweiser.

7. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Not even close, my good man. Craft beer as a hobby = pretty damn high tolerance.

Hobgoblin- decent, though a bit sweet for me. Seems it loses something on it's trip over the pond.

Erdinger- as far as Hefeweizens go, the only one I'd take over Erdinger would be Weinstephaner. And really, that's only because I have 3 different Weinstephaner Hefe glasses in my collection.

Tsunami and Drakes- Drakes is on the list of IPAs I'd love to try; Tsunami- I've heard of Pelican Bay, but their brews don't make it to MA. A damn shame, there.

Guinness... an old love. These days, it loses something compared to other, more flavorful brews... but will always be an old love. And nothing beats a pint of Guinness in a real Irish pub in Bally Duff.

Anything but Budweiser... and Miller, and Coors. For mostly ethical reasons, I stay away from the big breweries and try to stick with Craft breweries, be they American or otherwise.

Interesting note- Anheiser Busch is no longer an "American brewery", technically. 51% ownership goes to Inbev.

Moved on to a pint of Boulder Brewing's Hazed and Infused IPA. Mediocre. Bland hop character, a bit too much residual sweetness. But had a few in the fridge left over from a friend. Meh.

8. OpanaPointer

Tried Sam Adams Black Lager?

9. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

I'm not old enough to drink.…

I quick comment you guys are truley a pice of work I saw that owkinawa thred!

10. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Yep- and I'd say it's one of the more well-crafted and interesting offerings from SA. Dark/Black lagers are a VERY under-brewed and under-appreciated style- it's interesting that SA chose to brew one on a regular basis.

Even better that they did a pretty decent job.

Only SA beer I'm not a fan of is their Pale Ale. A rather easy style to do a decent job of, and yet theirs seems to consistently have the flavor and mouthfeel of dishwater.

(Cranberry Lambic aside. It should be obvious that no one, let alone myself, likes that abomination!)

((Apologies to any possible fans of said brew... I've never run into anyone who actually likes that one before!))

11. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thats a good threat for an bavarian!:D

Here are some of my favourite ones. All are small breweries with great beers!

Regards

Ulrich

Attached Files:

12. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Best beer I have tried so far. I wish I could get some here in the states.

Hint hint Ulrich.......:D

[​IMG]

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Gosh darn it!!! I THOUGHT you were talking about ROOTBEER :lol: :lol: :lol: You can give all my alloted share of regular beer-to the Iranians :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I myself only purchase a special stout every now and then, from the Yellowstone Valley Brewry here in Billings. It is a pleasant oatmeal stout named Black Widow Stout.

In other instances, and for most general beer consumption my tastes run to "whatever is on sale", as long as it isn't Pabst. That really went down hill for some reason a few years back, got sort of "sharp" or something. It also tends to go skunky rather quickly.

I used to enjoy a brew named Lucky Lager which wasn't available all over the USA, but they also got bought up by somebody else, and it too went to hell in a hand bag.

15. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I do love my beer. But I don't drink fancy. Or apparently tasty. I have tried to be classy with my beer but end up making that face kids usually make when you try to get them to eat brussel sprouts.

16. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Same here...except I do love me some PBR. Probably ingrained into me by my family...it was the beer of choice for my family. I'm cheap...if I can get Busch Light for 18 bucks a 30 rack, that's what I get.

17. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Right you are "luke", I used to enjoy PBR but for some reason in the past it just got weird to my palate. This week, leading up to Labor Day the local grocery is selling that Plank Road Brewry (Miller) Icehouse for $16.49 a 30. I'll probably pick up a couple at that price and just put them in my other fridge.

18. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Not bad Darren! As i said i put a good stuff for you into Santa´s sleigh!:D

Regards

Ulrich

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I just saw an article on a new book, I am planning on picking up. Beer is Proof God Loves Us by Charles Bamforth. It is supposed to be released next month (Oct.) and while I’m not a "home-brewer" yet, I have given it a thought or two.

I already raise my own Shiitake mushrooms in my apartment. While it seems odd, even at the $30 (with S&H) for the "patch" they are about half the price of shiitakes at my local stores. By sauteing them in olive oil, and then using a vacuum process and a plastic container along with a sesame oil, they freeze up very nicely for later use. I could eat them right out of the bag when I thaw them out, but they add so much to my dishes that I resist the urge.

Goto:

Fungi Perfecti: ready to grow indoor mushroom kits

The first time I ordered from these guys, the patch didn’t work as well as I expected and I only got about one and a half "blooms" before it just didn’t work. I wrote them a letter (email) and asked them what I had done wrong? After a couple of exchanged emails, they decided that perhaps that particular block was just not right, and without my even asking they sent me another one for free. That one worked as advertised and I got about five full "blooms" before it petered out, and I have bought three more of the things. I have a Nameko patch in my "cart", and will get it this fall.

My next "adventure" into doing things "at home" in a small apartment is probably going to be a "home brew". Small scale of course, but I’m interested.

20. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Ulithi, Gebirgsjaeger- On those German brews, stop posting them, I can't get them here in the US! Not fair! ;)
    While Belgium would be my first choice for a "beer vacation", Germany would run a VERY close second.

LukeT, Brndirt- On the idea of "I don't drink the crafty stuff"- while I may be a big fan of craft beer, and I've got my own thoughts about the big breweries- more than anything, I entirely subscribe to the notion "drink what you enjoy, and enjoy drinking it!". I guess I should add "responsibly" in there, too. ;)

(And truth be told, I do have a weakness for PBR, especially on hot summer days. Or late nights!)

Brndirt- I would heartily recommend giving homebrewing a try. I have horrible luck with it, but I'm in a very small minority. The equipment you would need to give it a shot is pretty cheap no matter what method you use, and there's plenty of info available online, so no need to buy books.
    For a start- check out How to Brew - By John Palmer

Tonight is looking like some more reading on the Bismarck, checking out the newest book purchase on the late war years, and knocking back a couple pints. Good stuff!

luketdrifter likes this.