Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Model 24 Stielhandgranate

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Zefer, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Zefer

Zefer Member

I’ve been doing a bit of research on WW2 Era grenades recently, I’ve began to question the use of the handle on the German Model 24 Stielhandgranate. Although it is undoubtedly easier to throw long distances and is probably safer than the American one (it takes longer to start the fuze and would be very hard to do by accident) surely in an urban environment it’s odd shape and unbalanced aerodynamics would be a hindrance when it came to throwing around corners or into buildings?

Was this a known issue? Maybe I’m just over thinking it.

2. razin

razin Member

Your point regarding use in urban areas may have some merit, perhaps those who read individual service accounts may have read something like that. In 1943 the M24 and M39 stielhandgranate were replaced in production by the M43 which could be used without the handle and even as a booby trap as it was fused like the M39 egg grenade.

Therefore a Wehrmact soldier had an opton to the M24/39 type throughout the war (the egg grenade) and the M43 allowed a simpler more flexible grenade, although the earlier type continued in use until surrender in deminishing numbers.

~Steve

3. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

What i find interesting about the Stielhandgranat is that it had no safety spoon, like the Mills or M2 frag. I know it's kinda obvious why it doesn't have one, but it interests me.

Does the RGD-33 stick grenade have a safety spoon?

4. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

I know that Call of Duty manuals are definitely NOT the prime source for World War 2 material, but I read in the first manual that the blast range of the RGD-33 was larger than the throwing range. Hard to believe. I doubt it.

But anyway, the addition of a safety spoon does up the overall cost of the RGD-33. A batch of a million RGD-33 with the addition of the safety spoon would increase the cost significantly. Anyway, relating this to the human wave thread, the Soviets really were never short on people.

5. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

The German stick grenade, from what I've generally read, just seems like an inferior standard issue grenade compared to what UK/US troops were carrying. It was just a more primitive design and relied on blast over fragmentation. Sure, the handle had its uses, but it was less destructive and much more cumbersome to carry around.

6. razin

razin Member

The RGD33 doesn't have a spoon as it doesn't need one, it is a rather complex design, which has a safety rather like a firearm safety, a thumb switch (slide on the neck of the handle is pushed sideways to expose a indented red dot, internally this action moved the safety from between the firing pin and the end of the fuse.

The proceedure to use a RGD33 is as follows,

1). Grip grenade head with left hand pull back handle about 20mm and turn, slide sleeve forward. The weapon firing pin is now armed.
    2). Ensure the safety slide is in the safe position.
    3). Open fuse pocket cover on head and slide fuse into pocket, only if the handle is cocked will the fuse push fully home against the spring of the safety. close cover over pocket.
    4). The grenade is now armed and ready for imediate use.
    5). Set the safety to armed, red dot visible (as it is indented it can be felt in poor light) and throw the inertia of throwing causes the pin to fly forward, so it has to be a forcefull throw.
    To make safe reverse the proceedure, on opening the safety spring pressure will push the fuse partially out of the pocket, remove fuse and holding the handle and head turn to release to cocking mechanism.

Of the other common Russian grenade the M14/30 has a pin safety handle rather like that one some modern fire extingishers, remove the pin and close the handle trigger, and throw.

Late Soviet grenades such as F1 are similar to U.S. and British have the Pin and Spoon system.

As to how much better the Pin and Spoon system is - they all have problems, many servicemen fix a cord or cable tie around the handle as it is not unknown for the pin to catch on something or dislodge in the bag or pocket, in some cases soldiers splay out the end of pin so it cannot pul out, but this means the grenade is difficult to use in a hurry.

~Steve

7. Triple C

Triple C Ace

The stick grenade had long range and increased throwing accuracy over other more conventional designs. Unfortunately, the small explosive charge and lack of good fragmentation makes it one of the less lethal grenades in WWII. It is probably for a good reason that we all stopped using them.

8. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

True. I don't really see the advantage in an 'offensive' hand grenade with less shrapnel, seeing that the 'defensive' hand grenades worked just as well or even better in the same use. Besides, despite the fragmentation of the Mills bomb (for example), its not gonna kill the thrower if they use it right, which they are trained to do.

9. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

well just take a look at the mk2 what it does not catch in the explosion it gets in the fragmentation which can shoot out to 30ft

10. jeeeensy

jeeeensy recruit

Hi ,, The M24 and the M39 Nebel could be used without the handle,, there is an adapter that can be used to convert it into a smaller item,, also the M24 and the M39 Egg grenade can be fired from a flare pistol with the adapter fitted. I will post a few piccs later of the M24 adapter.

Regards
    Nick

11. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Modern US Army grenades were not general issue but only given to those who are qualified grenadiers. Those things have a greater blast radius than effective throw range and is used exclusively to blast the enemy from his foxhole, bunker or house. A deadly bomb that needs a good deal of skill to use safely.

12. jeeeensy

jeeeensy recruit

Hi.. thought i'd jump in here and give some input on German Stielhandgranates.

The M24 anbd M43 Hgr had a blast radius of 20 feet or so and were used for both offensive and defensive.

With defensive a fragmentation sleeve would used, either a smooth or pre pressed/machined grooved sleeve both serve purpose.

Offensive was used as is and relied on concussion effect of the blast.

A shortened handle was produced for fallschirmjager M24, as was the adaptor to eliminate the handle completly.

Regards Nick

Up From Marseille likes this.
  13. bigdunc

bigdunc Member

Could the Model 24 Stielhandgranate be "bundled"with several grenades attached together?

14. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Hi, I just came on to this thread when I was looking at German Rifle Grenades and I know it’s a topic on hand grenades, but can anyone help me please.
    I can only find info on the Gewehrgranatengerät and it was produced from 1942, I wonder what the German army used before? I have some info on certain types of Grenades used, I don’t know how accurate this is, so if anyone has any info I would be most grateful.

Gew.Pz.Gr.30, Feb-Dec 1942
    Calibre: 30mm (AP)
    Weight: 250 g
    Range: 200m
    Armour Pen: 40mm

Gew.Pz.Gr. Gross, Nov 1942/45
    Calibre: 30mm (AP)
    Weight: 390 g
    Range: 200m
    Armour Pen: 80mm

Gewehrsprenggranate, Feb 1942/45
    Calibre: 30mm (HE)
    Weight: 250 g
    Range: 250m

Regards Yan.

Skipper likes this.
  15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The potatomasher was in fact quite useful in urban areas.
    1) they could be transported easily in a boot or a belt and didn't need to be unclipped from a belt before throwing.
    2) you could throw them from below for short distances. (or the way you throw a ninja star) .
    3) The porcelaine ring was easy and fast to pull.
    4) they were easier to identify if you needed to pick one up in the dark .

Many other models have been tried in WWI including the discus, the racket , the lemon and I don't think it's a coincidence that the potatomasher was chosen in 1924.

Just my two cents.

16. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Thanks Skipper, I think what Big Dunc means is the Geballte Ladung, six heads straped around one stick grenade for a more potent weapon, I think it could be used against Tanks as well as strong points.
    Regards Yan,