Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Moisin-Nagant vs Mauser

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Friedrich, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

Lithgow is the Australian plant is it not? Were the mags the same size, if so they may have been plugged as civilian hunting rifles, to allow only 5 rounds, I believe that is the law here in Canada and may well be in Australia too.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You are correct, Lithgow is in Australia--and the Lithgows are the most sought after Enfields by collectors. When the average Enfield sold for $60.00--these sold for $250.00 on up.

You might be correct about the Mag capacity being plugged up--I dont know--im only familiar with the Enfields I used to own.

[ 24 May 2002, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

3. 9th Waffen SS

9th Waffen SS Member

The K-98 is a fine weapon, and does everything it is asked to do. However, when I am out in a reenactment, knowing that the next GI I see can pump 8 rounds out by the time I cycle through 2 or 3 definitely gives the advantage to the M1 Garand. That is why I upgraded to a G-43. And why I also carry a P-38 pistol which gives me about 20 rounds between the 2 that I can pop off without need to reload.

Now, if only I had an MP44......

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Wilkommen, Hohenstaufen!!!

Hope to see you around the forums oftenly!!!

Yes, as you can see in this and some other threads, I love the Mauser, I just love it!!!

And I do not think that semi-authomathic rifles were addecuate for snipers...

5. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

The question of Mauser Vs. Garand becomes somewhat academic when you consider that U.S. research into their combat troops of WWII, shows that on average 7 out of 10 men would not fire their weapon at the enemy. This means from what I have read that troops would often discharge their weapon but not always at a target! Surely the deciding factor must be the man pulling the trigger...

6. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

Baron, I read that too, but then someone else posted that thats not what it meant, I cant remember the conversation though, dang faulty memory chip [​IMG]

7. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

It is what it means, but it is an average. When I get back from holiday I will post up the documents I have relating to it. I cant remember the name of the best book on the topic, G.I at War, I think. Will sort it out when I get back to my little library.

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I still not knowing why the hell I posted this thread here... It should be Moshye-Nagan versus Mauser... :confused:

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

NOW he tells us !! :rolleyes:

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

It's my topic and I do what I want with it! [​IMG]

11. SpitfireMkII

SpitfireMkII Member

I was wondering why this was under Russia, lol. Anyway, my opinion is M-1 Garand wins hands down. Although I do love a nice bolt action....

12. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, it is time to fix this topic:

Moshye-Nagand versus Mauser. Any opinions? Forget about the bloody Garand!

13. Martin Bull

My personal (prejudiced) opinion is that the K98 is superior to the Moisin-Nagant.

But I've checked through my smallarms 'library' and can't find a comparison - writers seem to describe the M-N but offer no performance thoughts.

I guess it's over to our 'shooting' friends in the US ..... ?? :confused:

14. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Bye the way: Am I bloody spelling correctly the name of the rifle?!

Martin, why should we always wait for them?! We must do an European complot! [​IMG]

15. Martin Bull

As I've said before, Friedrich - in Britain you'd think it's an offence to even mention the word 'gun'.
    The only guys allowed to use them are the drug-dealers and they prefer the AK47 so I can't ask them their preference between K98/Moisin-Nagant ! ;)

16. Martin Bull

I've been reading some more...
    The Moisin was a sound design ( for 1891! ) and is reportedly quite pleasant to shoot, even today.

The issue is 'blurred' in WWII by weapons care, which in the German army was of very high quality. Quoting again from Captain Shore's 'With British Snipers To The Reich' : -

'Once or twice I took the opportunity of looking at the ( Moisin ) rifles used by the Russians; in nine cases out of ten I wouldn't have risked firing a single shot through their rifles. I never actually heard of a rifle barrel blowing, but I'm sure it must have happened. Throughout service in Europe I saw innumerable cases of the mis-use and total lack of care of firearms; but the prize for the worst maintenance would have to be... the Russians '.

This was why the PPSh41 was such a brilliant design under the circumstances ; it needed no maintenance at all !

17. Jumbo_Wilson

Jumbo_Wilson Member

Martin

You've mentioned the one missing factor to me: maintenance. Going back to the Garand a second can anyone tell me it's complexity re; stripping and cleaning as compared to the 98K?

As for the Russian Moisin-Nagant as martin's quote illustrates it is as much about build quality as design. Today there are a lot of AK47's kicking around, but not all of them had quality control and they all behave differently. I get the impression in the panic-infused days of 1914-1918 and 1941 onwards build quality similarly slipped in the need to produce rifles. On the other hand I've seen in the Heeresgeschichtiches in Vienna some of the 1945 German rifles made in desperation and oh..boy you would not want to be near them when they went off...

Jumbo

18. Greenjacket

Greenjacket Member

The Nagant had the advantage of not freezing solid and becoming inoperable in Russian winters.