Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

More CIB questions

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Buten42, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I have a procedure question on being awarded the CIB in 1944/1945. Takao enlightened me on there being no Infantry MOS requirement until 1961. In May of 1944 per WD Circular 186, an individual was required to belong to an Infantry unit.
    So the three requirements of the award in 1944-45 was 1) to be assigned to an Infantry unit 2) at such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat with a ground enemy and actively participate in such ground combat, and 3) to show "satisfactory performance of duty while in action against the enemy".

My question then: If an individual can show he has met all three requirements without question, would this award be automatic,or would it still be at the discretion of someone, like the CO of the company?

For instance, the Purple Heart is issued without any approval if all the conditions are met--it does have to be included in the records to be valid. The Good Conduct Medal however, does have too be recommended by the CO and can be withheld if the CO determines it to be unworthy. Does the CIB have to go through the same scrutiny as the Good Conduct.and can be withheld for some personal reason by the CO? I can't find any material that covers this, Thanks for any input.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

According to WD Circular No. 408 dated 18 Oct 1944 Section I, 3(1):

It seems to me that the wording suggests that it is not automatic, but it's a bit open to interpretation.

3. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks Tommy, I think I'll need to get the GO for the 334th Infantry Battalion. It was not included on his separation paper and everything at NARA is burned in the fire. They told me I actually had more records than they do. They omitted two other medals and called a Distinguished Unit Badge "Distinguished Service Medal" . I have pictures of him in uniform in Europe with the award, and his uniform is hanging in my closet with the original CIB attached--I know he was awarded it but I need to prove it with something in writing--which is how it should be.

Dave

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Check with NARA II in College Park to see what they have for the 334th. If they have the GOs, you should be in business.

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I'll do just that-never thought of them. I have a request for his VA file but they seem to be under no time limit.
    I have a friend in the Regional NARA Archives in Seattle who researched the VA for information and sent me a file number to include when I wrote them, so they do have some information if they would ever answer. Nothing in the Army goes unrecorded (in triplicate) so all I need to do is find it.
    Thanks for the help. Dave