Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

More info wanted.

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Raysrunt, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Raysrunt

Raysrunt recruit

Hello, I have been trying to find out as much as I can about my dad's service in WW II. I know his movements, thanks to the after-action reports for his unit (47th infantry, co. F), but after he was wounded, I have no more information. I know he was at the 280th Station Hosp. in Cherbourg. Would love to find his medical records. However, the great fire(!) took his personal records. It seems to me that the hospital should have had separate records. Anyone know how I could find these? Thanks.

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You may try the

SERVICE HISTORIQUE DE LA DEFENSE
    Chateau de Vincennes
    BP 166
    00468 armées

These are the National archives.

3. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

4. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The military doesn't keep a service member's medical records after they are discharged. Instead, they are either given to the member (the normal occurance) or, they are destroyed locally. The only exception I know to this is that those who retire may have theirs held at a local base or other location due to their continuing access to the military medical system.

5. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Unless I've misunderstood the information, from the link I left, it would appear that NARA has records.

Steve W.

6. T. A. Gardner

Its possible that the British services do this, but the US ones do not. I know this first hand.

7. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

OK, but I can only go on what I've read on the NARA website about the situation in the US.

Steve W.

8. Raysrunt

Raysrunt recruit

Thanks guys, I'm not sure yet how I will proceed, but I appreciate the help. May have to go with what little I have.

9. T. A. Gardner

I would suggest at this point contacting the division reuinon group in which you father served. Most divisions have one so it shouldn't be too hard to find. At least there might be someone who actually knew him still around to fill in some details.