Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MOSQUITO !

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Martin Bull, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Damn! Some guys have ALL the luck!!!! [​IMG]

2. mp38

mp38 Member

Erich,

I'm afraid that you are referring to the later manufactured ones! The first prototype was an excellent aircraft! Very fast, due to its very low weight. This was due to a very advanced composite reisen that was super strond, and added strength to the very light wooden structures!
    It performance was very simular to the British plane that is was modelled after.

However the allies did themselves a favor, by a stroke of luck! They bombed the local factory that made the reisen for the aircraft. No other factory knew how to make it, and they settled on a weaker, and far less effective substitute. Not only was this reisen weaker, but it actually began to deteriorate the wood!!
    The resulting aircraft are the planes which you are referring to. The resein just didn't hold together very well. After that, the project was cancelled, and the German mosquito would never see combat!

I feel that if the Germans would have had the first resein, the German mosquito would have been very successful!

The allied bombers saved thier own asses by bombing the factory that made it, and they didn't even know it!? [​IMG] Now that is irony my friend!

Matt :cool:

[ 20 September 2002, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: mp38 ]

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Actually Matt, the German Moskito is something like the Fw 190D-9. It was a stop gap. The Fw 190Dora was just the infant to the superior Ta 152. The GErman Moskito was just to make way for the oversized and underpowered He 219. The final result was dispense with even this headache of an a/c and replace all night fighter units in time with the Me 262A-1a and the Me 262B-2. This will be covered in trendous length in our books....2 volumes. We now have all the photos together and are gong through them on the Moskito-jagd.

E

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'm starting to become quite intrigued about this book..... ;)

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Sehr gut Martin !

Once we get the new JG 300 buch translated from the French into English and a couple more months of tiding up our chapters since right now there are more than 25 and over 850 pages / I'll share some more with you all......this will be most probably the first book in Deutsch/English that has covered the mysterious night air war battles over the Reich covering the futile attemps of the Luftwaffe to take on the Mosquito intruder and bombers. Another nice book in Deutsch by Werner Girbig is Im Anflug auf die Recihshauptstadt bei Motorbuch Verlag / Auflage 2001 ISBN # 3-87943-172-8

Gruß

E

E

6. Martin Bull

.. and I guess all Forum members will automatically receive a complimentary, signed, leather-bound presentation copy, eh Erich .... ? ;) :D

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

A special Leather bound multiple signed volume.........hmmmmm, at 225.00 US minimum.....I wish Martin !! :D Hey but it will be worth every penny though....Ha ! ;) Seriously it has been much fun gathering infos for the past 36 years an finally seeing all that paper stuff/fotos being used to some good effect. In time and I hope soon before I am bent over backwards and using two canes to walk..... :eek:

E

8. Martin Bull

I'm saving up my pennies already..... ;)
    Just a thought - it won't be coming out under the Schiffer imprint with 'dodgy' reproduction and loads of typo's, I hope..... ? :eek:

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin !

No absolute way would we even consider Schiffer. There paper is crap and the photo reproduction is terrible same as JJF in Canada. Just a cheap job if you ask me.
    Most likely Classic Pubs of the UK or Eagle Editions out of Montana. We want a first class job and our work will most likely be drawn down to two volumes to keep the costs down and be (we hope !), affordable to all.

E

10. Martin Bull

I should have known that you guys are way too :cool: for that !
    I must say, it sounds good !

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

From " A hell of a bomb"

The US 8th Air Force, who used some Mosquitos for photo-reconnaissance, nicknamed it " A hollowed-out log with a built-in swing". As both propellers rotated in the same direction problems could indeed occur while taxiing, followed by an undercarriage collapse if the throttles were not carefully handled.

:eek:

12. Martin Bull

There's no doubt that two Merlins producing over 3,000bhp in some variants, installed in such a lightweight airframe could make for some tricky handling characteristics.

This cause controversy among veterans even today ; some say the 'swing' was vicious whereas others somewhat sniffily say that the Mossie was no problem to fly 'if you knew what you were doing'. There certainly were a fair number of accidents and collapsed undercarts.....

I believe that the later DH Hornet was fitted with 'handed' counter-rotational engines.

13. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

There are definitely some good reads on this aircraft now.

"The Focke-Wulf TA 154 Moskito was originally Code-named TA-211 because of the engines it was designed to use, the Junkers Jumo 211-R."

Examples:
    http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/ta154bar.html
    http://www.warbirdsforum.com/topic/1634-got-focke-wulf-ta-154-moskito/

http://falkeeins.blogspot.ca/2012/05/ta-154-moskito-njg-3-stade.html

A good veteran's account there.
    "hile carrying out our checks and inspections my assistants and I were often interrupted by the orderly officer’s cry “the Kommandeur wants to take her up!”. The aircraft itself must have been a lot of fun to fly."

And a real treat of a video has come to light.

Thanks to: http://www.youtube.com/user/spottydog4477

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei03mkG8X1k

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the Ta ws junk the unit in III./NJG 3 the poor crew and craft could not make any interceptions due to a multitude of problems both radar and aircraft overall. an interesting thought in the making but futile