Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mosquito's first combat appreance baffled the Germans

Discussion in 'De Havilland Mosquito' started by 10cents, Nov 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. 10cents

10cents New Member

via War44
    :D

The mosquito's first sortie was on September 18, 1941 for a recon mission. However, there were some malfunctions with the camera, not the plane, so the mission was aborted. On their way back, the single mosquito was jumped by 3 Messerschmitt Bf-109s. No problem, the mosquito simply outflew them. Considering that the Messerschmitt itself is no chicken, the German pilots must've been scratching their heads all the way to base. :)

A Messerschmitt, most familiar of the Luftwaffe fighters...

[​IMG]

2. Jaap Vermeer MDE

Jaap Vermeer MDE Active Member

gtblackwell likes this.
  3. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

The two Merlin engines weren't new to the Germans as Hurricanes, and Spitfires used them. The lighter wooden build, and aerodynamic construction made the Mosquito the fastest twin engine aircraft in the ETO until the P-38 Lightning came along. I would think the German pilots would absolutely be surprised!

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Jaap, I really enjoyed the drawings, what a find! Particularly the sections drawn through the bomb bay, the longitudinal sections aligned with the transverse. Though I draw buildings not aircraft it is all an art and craft. I use to draw the ribs of sailboats for fun. Holy Grail stuff for me.

Exciting stuff to this old fellow ! Martin Bull of the UK is a forum member here and will love these more Than I . I have only seen a static displayed Mosquito but would love to see and hear one fly

Gaines

PS, Cannot understand how a manual crank allows the crew to turn over a 27-liter engine !! I imagine there is a big mechanical advantage but still ! I assume the crank on the bombay section is to lift a bomb up to the carrier beam ?

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Gaines...I bet you didn't know Australia built her own Merlins and Mosquitos...?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I used to draw Portuguese Man'owars....
    [​IMG]without a ruler!

6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

No wonder you are the Ace of Spades.....far beyond my meager talents !! Also interesting to know Portuguese man'owars flew Union Jacks !

Anyone remember the name of the movie set in Asia in WW2 featuring Mosqiitos ? I remember some good shots of them but forgot the title.

I do recall reading that Australia and Canada both made Mosquitos and Merlins.

Gaines

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

oh so you did know...D'oh!
    The Man'owars were such a great design most countries took it up, or a version of it....And im sure you would make my meagre talents look silly.