Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Most Decorated Soldiers

Discussion in 'Leaders of World War 2' started by Boba Nette, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Audie Murphy is the most decorated U.S. soldier from WWII unless I am mistaken.Who are the most decorated soldiers from other nations?Axis as well as Allied.

2. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Don't take this as bashing, but today the Americans are given medals and ribbons thrown at them and most are worthless. It could be that during WW2 this was always the case. Yes he was very brave and deserved honouring.

3. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    GP wrote:

Call it what you will but bashing it remains unless there is something more to support it besides mere opinion undiluted by facts.

EDIT-- personal comments deleted after reflection :evil:

Most are worthless? What evidence is there for that claim?

That kind of blanket statement is nearly always insupportable and tells us more about the author and his bias than about the subject of his vitriolic remark.

4. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    OK,now give me an example of some one who didn't have medals and ribbons thrown at them.Some one that actually earned them.

5. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Quite a number of people who are in the British Forces for one.

I have seen US personel with 2 or 3 rows of ribbons on their uniform and the have only just left basic training (boot camp) and been at their first unit.

Army service ribbon, the army overseas service ribbon, The army Non Commissioned officers ribbon. The army reserve overseas training ribbon.

Even the Americans claim that most of their medals and ribbonsre are worth nothing. The good conduct medal is given after 3 years and a subsequnet number added every three years after. When the us service personnel do something right they are given a ribbon to stick on their chests. The Brits are given a few one for the Queens Jubille and one after 15 years if you are good or haven't been caught.

http://www.usmedals.com/medals.html?pagenum=8

6. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    aziz

In most cases only the person who has the medal knows what he/she got it for. A WW2 fireman with the defence medal alone could deserve it more than a 'base-waller' in Cairo with the Africa Star.
    I'll go along with GP on this subject, a world war 2 poem has a line that goes, "That pretty ribbon just denotes,
    They've crossed the sea,
    Brave men,
    in boats"

7. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    GP wrote:

What you are talking about are not decorations for valor just service awards and such. You don't like the ribbons worn by US serviceman I suppose that is your problem not theirs. It says nothing about what is deserved or not deserved just that you don't like them. That opinion doesn't justify a statement that "most are worthless"
    This thread refers to "most decorated" which of course refers to decorations for valor.
    This constant US military bashing by just a few (always the same) posters is disgraceful.
    It does not in any way serve to elevate the British military to constantly deride and insult the US military.
    It, of course is a reflection on you but it is a shame that you put yourself forward as somehow representative of the British military.

8. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    One of the Americans I work with has 11 ribbons, of which he only thnks 1 is worth something.

It is not just me.

9. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2

A decoration is not always for valour.

I wasn't doing this to bash America but to pointout that some countries (the main 1 happens to be your country) gives medals and ribbons for so much awards don't mean a great deal.

Anyway I will stop posting items as this if you stop postiong rubbish is it a deal?

I have no problems with most of the current American posters here, just you. That is´why I tried not to reply to your posts, however, your constant posting of rubbish, changing your mind and only using website which you accept made me reply.

American soldiers themselves are mostly brave just as any other military. If they are happy with a chest full of ribbons and medal, then that is good for them.

Not taking bravary way from Americans, if they are wounded in action they are given a Purple Heart, that means nothing but that they were wounded by the enemy, the British don't have this award.

10. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    GP wrote:

When ones speaks of the mosr decorated soldiers of the war (like Murphy for instance) you aren't talking about good conduct medals or campaign ribbons but decorations for personal valor only.

You have stated that as a fact when it is merely your misguided opinion, nothing more.

Your personal problem with me is your problem not mine. I have a problem with people who constantly deride and insult others on these forums. there are only a few posters that continually do this and you are one of them.
    I don't post "rubbish".
    I post facts and my own opinion. I try to cite sources for the facts something I haven't seen you do.

So what? The American military has a tradition going back to George Washington of issuing the Purple Heart. Get over it. The British Army doesn't..so what..that doesn't make the Purple Heart undeserved.
    The German Army has the wound badge for the same purpose..were you aware of that? Most all military organizations have a way of recognizing wounds gained in combat yet you, as usual ,single out the American military for your scorn and insults.
    I'm shocked that nobody else on these forums besides myself points out that the derision and insults you spew here are inappropriate and uncalled for.

11. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Gentlemen, please take all personal comments onto the PM system, not the main forum.

If you need arbitration, contact an Admin or a Moderator.

12. Stonewall phpbb3

Stonewall phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    most decorated Brit?

German?

anybody??

13. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Arguably Hans Rudel as he was the only recipient of the Knights Cross with gold oak leaves, swords and diamonds. In fact it was created for him, or so it is said.

14. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What did he do to merit this award?

15. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sturmtiger wrote:
    From memory alone..let's see..destroyed 0ver 500 Russian tanks..sunk a batleship with a stuka..continued to fly after being severely wounded despite being ordered to stop flying in combat.
    That should be enough IMO :wink:

16. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    To above debate about earning of the medals and decorations:
    (from wast collection of wisdom from my sargent-when i was serving my ''time'')
    Remember a bullet or a medal NEVER hit the right person

17. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2

I choose to dissagree with that quote......

18. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    From Armageddon by Max Hastings:

"He [Gavin of the US 82nd Airborne] suggested that the US might learn something from the British parctice of distributing decorations after a disaster, to relieve the burden of guilt on those responsible. Lt-General "Boy" Browning 'lost 3/4 of his command and a battle [Arnhem]. He returned home a hero and was personnally decorated by the King. There is no doubt that in our system he would have been summarily relieved and sent home in disgrace.' ...
    ... Air Chief Marshall Harris once remarked caustically on the British habit of assuagung the pain of defeats with a deluge of 'gongs'."

So maybe the Americans did learn something from the Brits.

19. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    GP, there have been a very great number of American soldiers who have gone extremely far above the call of duty and have shown absolutely extraordinary skill in combat that have not gotten a single medal. My Hero and American Tank Ace, Staff Sergeant Lafayette G. Pool, is but one example.

20. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Something that I've always had a problem with is the Generals getting all sorts of awards, while the GI/Tommy/Landser that did all the fighting and dying got nothing!