Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MTC Mechanised Transport Corps

Discussion in 'Women at War' started by Remember MTC, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Remember MTC

Remember MTC recruit

via War44
    Hi

I am trying to collect together any information about the women who joined the MTC. They seem to have been largely forgotton and there doesn't seem to be any collection or historical record of the part they played in WWII.

As I as I know this was a 'private enterprise' of women in England (maybe Great Britain) who is the first instance were asked if they had access to cars whether they would help out in any way.

Later they expanded and drove ambulances in the UK, France, Syria and maybe elsewhere as well as driving munitions trucks etc., etc..

Because of their irregular status they on some occassions opted not to join regular British forces but for instances volunteered to drive for the American financed Spears ambulances. Many of the women who were part of this effort in France were later recognised by the French government after Liberation.

I've started a blog to try and gather in one place information about them but I suspect that with the passage of time many of their stories are now lost.

Any contribution or information welcomed.

MTC - Mechanised Transport Corps

Thanks

2. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    I have some very old magazines which were printed monthly at the time WWII was in progress, i will keep my eyes open for you as i steadly read thru them, i believe the kind of info you seek can be found in such items. :thumb:

You are very much welcome to add your info in here also, adding your link back to your blog of course... ;)

3. Remember MTC

Remember MTC recruit

via War44
    That's great.

I hadn't thought of the old fashioned way ie printed material.

Am still getting used to blogger but once I'vev got to grips with it will put in link.

Okay?

4. Remember MTC

Remember MTC recruit

via War44
    On BBC Radio 4's Making history this coming week (Tuesday 4th? in the afternoon) there should be a short piece about the MTC.

5. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Would that be Vanessa Collingridge's "Making History" programme at 3 o'clock ?