Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mussolini's Wargame Review System

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Otto, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I've been going back a forth a bit with our own Mussolini about WWII games and wargames in general. Between us we came up with what we think is a good WWII Game review system. This is the system that will be used to review games for the WWII Netowork, and will make it easier for anyone to submit a coherent review of a game.

Rating Rystem
    To review each game, we break each game down into eight scored categories, weighted by importance:

10 pts - Presentation/Package
    This category includes everything from the quality of the manual and packaging to the menu layout and game options. Also considered are the overall production, licenses, and style of the game.

20 pts - Graphics
    How the game looks. Technical issues like animation quality, texture design, framerate, and canvass.

10 pts - Interface
    This category encompasses the interface controls and how they relate to game action.

20 pts – Gameplay
    In a nutshell, how fun and satisfying the game is to play. Usually considered the most important part of any game, this encompasses the design, experience and overall feel of the game. Both single player and multiplayer elements will be considered here.

10 pts – Contextual Realism
    An assessment of the historical aspect of a game. If the game claims to be accurate, how well does it live up to the claim? How far does the game to be true to the world in which the game is set.

10 pts – Sound: Music / Sound FX / Voice Acting
    This category rates the quality of the sound effects and voice acting as well as the music in the game.

10 pts - Lasting Appeal/Replay Value
    This rates how much time you're likely to spend with the game before you get tired of it. This rating also reflects the depth of the game and options such as multiplay and mini-games that keep you going after you finish the single-player experience.

10 pts – TILT: Reviewer Wildcard
    This reflects the personal opinion of the reviewer. Certain factors that are specific to that reviewer’s experiences.

Final Scores
    After each review the amounts are totalled and the following system can be used to make educated compairons between games:

Impeccable. Flawless. No game is absolutely perfect, but 100 would represent the pinnacle of gaming brilliance. It doesn't get any better than this. It takes a rare and special game to earn a perfect score in any category, never mind the total score. Realistically, no game will ever score this high. This represents the perfect game in all respects.

90 to 99
    A fantastic achievements with only minor flaws or imperfections. If a game scores a 90 or better you know it's a great title with just enough imperfections to let you know they're for real. Games of this caliber are considered must-haves.

80 to 89
    An excellent gaming experience that misses the boat in just a few key areas. Games that score in this range are still incredible games and come highly recommended. If you want a solid game experience stick with these and you won't be disappointed.

70 to 79
    A solid game that has some obvious flaws. Games scoring in the high end of this range might have some first-rate elements, whereas the lower 70’s have some serious shortcomings that keep them from ever achieving classic status.

60 to 69
    Passable. Games in this range have about as many blemishes as strengths, but still might be worth a look if you're into games of its type or genre. Rent this game or download the demo first before spending your hard-earned money.

50 to 59
    Games scoring between a 50 and 59 have numerous shortcomings. Only true fans of the particular genre or style will enjoy these ones. You might get some enjoyment out of this game, but it’s unlikely to be a game you go back and play again.

40 to 49
    Any game that scores in or below this range isn't really worth attention, and if you happen to end up with one, you'll probably find yourself returning to the store for a refund. These are the games your grandmother buys for you because she thinks they're cute. They aren't.

30 to 39
    When you get to the terrible threes you know you have some major suckage going on. A game in this category began with a good idea, but never really took off.

20 to 29
    Games of this caliber aren't even good enough to give as a gift. It's more fun to look at the box art than it is to play the game.

10 to 19
    The absolute worst of the worst. Put it in a paper bag, set it aflame on your neighbor's porch, ring the doorbell, and run like hell. Just as it's rare to see a game get 90+ , it's just as unusual to see a game score below 20.

0 to 9
    Okay, so you were lied to. 10 to 19 isn't "the absolute worst of the worst." However, titles that score below a 10 aren’t even considered games. This is essentially sewage in a box. This range is saved for titles that are just so incredibly horrific that one must question the sanity of the developer and publisher.

Upon the final review, the reviewer will make final "after action" verdict statement where they state at least three pros, three cons, and then state the final score of the game.

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks for setting that up, Otto!

I'm currently devising a form for the reviews, which will spance mostly PC Games at the moment, but may also include Board Games and X360 Games (these being the systems i own). They will also cover a broad range of genres (RPG, FPS, RTS, etc) and Eras. Here is the current list of games i will be reviewing over the next few weeks:

PC: Rome: Total War + Barbarian Invasion
    (Medieval II Total War - Not Yet Released)
    Silent Storm
    Company of Heroes
    Hearts of Iron 2
    Dawn of War
    Battlefield 1942 + Vietnam
    Americas Army
    KOTOR II
    Axis & Allies
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    Doom 3
    Age of Empires III
    Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
    Combat Mission: Afrika Korps
    Sid Meiers Civilisation IV

X360:
    Dead Rising
    G.R.A.W (Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter)
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent

I will try to get a review out a week. That shouldnt be too much of a problem (most of the afore mentioned games are installed on my PC and have many more games sitting at home). My goal will be to get 2 Reviews out a week, but due to being a College Student in his final year, i might get swamped with work time to time.

Any questions or comments, feel free to respond or send me a PM.

3. Mussolini

*Update*
    The First Review is almost done. Silent Storm.
    It may or may not appear here. Have to talk to Otto about it, and finalise it, before it gets posted. Next on the list will be...hmm, Axis & Allies or Company of Heroes.

4. Mussolini

**UPDATE**

Silent Storm Review has been completed. The next 4 reviews will hopefully be done in time for New Years.

This is the tentative list of the next 4 games i will be reviewing:

Medieval 2 Total War
    Company of Heroes
    Axis & Allies
    Call of Duty

5. Fortune

Fortune Member

is that Call of Duty? or Call of Duty 3?

6. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Interesting. I would have rated realism as far more important. This would follow with the interface and "gameplay" in that order. Yes, it should be fun but, for me much of the fun is that it is challenging and realistic. I want to be able to apply what I know of history to the game and see it work.
    The AI opponet would have also rated very high.
    The fluff stuff like sound, graphics, packaging are all definitely secondary to the above.

7. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

Only game on your list I have actually played is Axis and Allies (the 1998 version). Is that the version you are going to review? Or the newer RTS game?

Thanks

8. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Just bumping this up ans seeing if this thread is still being worked on, because I would love to see some of these reviews if they are still being done.

9. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

Just a bump..as I"m interested in seeing some reviews!! :)

10. Mussolini

I suppose I should get back to doing this eh? I'll craft up a list of games that I own (unless you'd like to donate me $$ to buy games you want reviewed :) ) and let you pick the next one to review.