Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MV Port Wyndham

Discussion in 'Convoys and Troopships' started by petet, May 5, 2013.

1. petet

petet New Member

Can anyone provide any further information on the following incident please

03/1943: MV Port Wyndham attacked by a German Focke Wolf bomber 700 miles from Ireland. Two of the ship's gunners were wounded.

My father, who was on-board, has this information:

"On the 1st March 1943 we were approx. 400 miles West of Finistere when we were attacked by a lone FW Condor. which made four passes, machine gunning us each time and dropping a stick of bombs in the last pass. We were well armed, with 8 or 9 Oerlicken guns plus a 12 pounder anti-aircraft gun and the gunners gave a good account of themselves. The pilot of the Condor showed plenty of courage to cross through the hail of fire four times. The bombs missed and the ship was undamaged. Two of our gunners received minor bullet wounds. After the fourth attack the plane flew off and we continued at high speed to get away.We reached New York on March 9th March".

We are particularly interested in establishing where the Focke Wolf was based, the unit involved and whether there would be any "claim" recorded.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Pete

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Someone will be along shortly who is proficient in that area. Ask the same on ww2 talk also...our sister site if you have not already...And welcome to the forums.

3. petet

petet New Member

Thanks for the response; I have posted on the sister site and had confirmation that no condors were reported lost that day and that it may have been KG40 ... but nothing more, hence this posting to see if anything further can be established.

Regards

Pete

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I don't know if you can pm yet...But if and when you can....introduce yourself to Erich...And ask him directly. He is usually the man on here. Otherwise the other man Skipper may help.

5. petet

petet New Member

Thanks again; will PM when I get the opportunity

Regards

Pete