Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My computer or the site ?

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by gtblackwell, Dec 31, 2016.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Not sure where to post this but now when I click onn a topic of interest a box pops up saying "Save Here"
    I can then click the save button and download the link to the topic. Then I can try to open it with one 6 options but none work. Then i go to the major grouping the topic is listed under and open it and search for the original topic !

I suspect it is my computer. On Monday I can call my old school and the nice tech guys can take it over and figure it out but if some of you are having this problem and have a fix it would be much appreciated.

Strangely about 40% of the type when ni click on the topic it opens as it always has ! The box does not open elsewhere on the net.

Gaines

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Sounds like Malware.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I do not have that issue.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

That is a very odd duck. I never heard of or have seen anything like that.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Sounds like an issue with your box since no one else seems to be having the problem.

6. gtblackwell

I am pretty certain it must be me if it is not on anyone else's computer.. I ran a deep scan using Bitdefender Internet Security. Suite. highly rated and their bestb one but to no advail. Will get Auburn University tech guys to have a look.

Another box popped up saying send Otto $100 and it will go away ! Is this ransomware. ???????

BFBSM likes this.
  7. OpanaPointer

Nope, Otto's into extortion, not ransom.

Otto likes this.
  8. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I've see this often, looks like there is some script/code that wants to save a file locally and that's usually not a good thing (malware), as the code is triggered by cookies and other local settings the behavior is computer specific. (BTW the nasty code is usually in the embedded advertisements, not the page itself.

9. gtblackwell

TOS, am I likely to pass it along ? Especially here. No ad or any other activity than described has shown up. . I will stay away until I get it fixed. But you are spot on, it behaves exactly like it wants me to save the topic and not read it.

Thanks,

Gaines

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You aren't by chance using the infamous Internet Exploder (IE Browser)? It seems far more prone to malware than other browsers.

You might try this free sample of MalwareBytes. I've found it very useful and finally broke down and bought the software. You can run it for free and then decide whether to buy it, or let the 14 day trial expire. Just hit "download" instead of "buy."

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

von Poop likes this.
  11. OpanaPointer

Been running Malwarebyte (paid for) seven years now.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Malwarebytes rocks.

SDP and Slipdigit like this.
  13. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It does appear to be on your end Gaines. If you are using explorer I'd absolutely not use it, and another vote for Malwarebytes from me.

Given our history, I'm always skittish when I hear about possible malware issues with this site. The problems we had in the past were entirely due to our hosting company. Thankfully the security holes we previously had are closed, but we still are hosted by the same company, which provides me no comfort in that area. We are moving hosts soonish, and will have a new host with a much better track record that who we have now.

SDP likes this.
  14. SDP

SDP recruit

Forgive me for butting into this thread but it gives me a chance to say.....Come on guys and gals. Step up to the plate and facilitate Ottos excellent plan to move to the new software. It's worked a dream over at WW2Talk.com

15. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We have enough to set things in motion at this stage. Of course more always helps and would help us move faster, but currently our roadblock is technical. The tech guy who moved WW2Talk accepted a long term engagement and is no longer available to us. The search is on for a capable, reliable technician who can get things done. These types aren't very common and finding one that meets all our needs at a price we can afford has been difficult.

16. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Me too. Good stuff.

17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I ditched Internerd Exploder several years ago. Best thing I ever did. I'm a Chrome user now.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  18. gtblackwell

Thanks for all the advise and insights. I am on Google Chrome and have had Bitdefender Internet Security which is highly rated and their top level as my primary anti whatever package. I thought it was working but it is intrusive yet catches a fair amount of stuff and runs in real time. I have had Malwarebytes, free, on for years but had forgotten it so I just ran it and it says I had 663 threats , of which 95% were listed as Pub.Optional . Wildstrike or something like that. Anyway they are gone and Bitdefender may have missed them so will retry and see if the boxes are gone. That I know little about computers should be self evident ! , says the man who still drafts with wooden pencils , no new fangled mechanical devise for me ! I use talcum powder on my hands to keep oil of my velum, and fine fine pounce on the paper itself.....positively archaic but appropriate for my age bracket :)

I shall report back .

Gaines

19. OpanaPointer

I use IE once on each computer.

von Poop likes this.
  20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I ditched it as well. I'm a dedicated Firefox user. Don't care much for Chrome.