Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My dad’s stories of his adventures in WWII ETO

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by USArmy tugboats, Jan 18, 2019.

1. USArmy tugboats

USArmy tugboats New Member

Hello, I am starting this thread because I would love to share some of my dad’s stories about the war with some people who are really interested and can help me research and verify, plus I might be able to provide some pieces of the vast puzzle that I suppose all Wars become. I was an only child, and my dad told me stories about his life and his war service, and his life after he returned home. I tried to get him to dictate it all for me on audio apes, but he never did. I don’t know what. He did dictate for his sister who was doing genealogical research about our ancestors, everything he remembered about that, and his whole life in Kansas City Kansas. Many amusing anecdotes. He was a good storyteller. He may have embellished a little, but from my reading of his copious letters home to his wife, my mom, and to his ,other, much has been verified as true. The war was the most exciting time of his life, and he felt the Army turned his health around even though he was older when first inducted, gave him confidence, and pride in his capabilities that he never received in civilian life before or after. But it also had its flip side, in that he had nightmares and especially suffered every June 6, for the rest of his life. He changed a lot from the man he was before he served. It took him many years before he could establish much trust or easy friendship. I am very proud of my father and what he did in the war. He met both Eisenjower and Harry Truman. And he worked closel with a General JCH Lee, another Kansas native. The latter was apparently not liked because he was considered too religious, and too officious and a bit of a martinet, but my dad and he had respect for each other, and Gen Lee gave him a good deal of responsibility after the war ended with a Germany, inspecting warehouses and finding lost materiel and helping him resestablish order and accountability and tracking systems that led to the success of the Marshall Plan. But, that is getting ahead in my story. I should begin at the beginning.

My dad was born in Kansas City KS June 21, 1910. His father was a plumbing contractor, and his mother a housewife. They lived on Orville Ave. his father became pretty successful, and they built a lovely home right in the same neighborhood where they had begun. My grandfather was ingenious and mechanically adept, and my dad learned a great deal from him about problem solving and invention. Then the Depression destroyed my grandfathers business, he had to sell the house, and because there was nothing else, a relative of my grandmother offered her the management of an apartment building in Long Beach, CA. They traveled across the country via M!odel T, and my grandmother managed the Cedar apartments in Long Beach in 1933. My grandfather tried to start up his business there, but he had a bad heart and after my dad was inducted, he was not able to continue without his sons help and he passed away. My dad had married in 1939, but I as born in 1947, after my father returned from Europe. I was his only child, and I was doted on, and my relationship with both parents was very close. In Long Beach, this landlubber fell in love with sailing and built his own sailboat from plans and he and a buddy sailed within Alamitos Bay. He also had experience locall at sea, and learned twin screw boat handling, as he was a certified diesel engineer. He had a number of talents, including having gone to a music conservatory in Kansas City and as a classical pianist. He played early jazz too. He was sent to college to become a doctor, but the Depression cut short those plans and he was needed by his father to keep the family plumbing business alive.

After my dad, John Milton Croy helped his father with his business in Long Beavh, he also worked on building a home for the family. I believe he was inducted in 1942, and at this point, I need to check his letters for specifics of where he trained. After basic training, he was tested for skills and IQ, and the Army appreciated his knowledge of Diesel engines, boat handling, etc and sent him to Florida to teach seamanship, boat handling, and operation of Diesel engines. He was eventually trained as a Commando. But that is as far as ai want to go until I consult his letters. I will be providing photos for you soon. Thanks for your patience. Judith Croy.

2. WILD DUKW

WILD DUKW Active Member

Hi Judith,

Interesting stuff. Can you provide the names and or hull numbers of your father's tugs? Also, I am a rare fan of General John C.H. Lee and believe he got a raw deal from equally flawed men like Eisenhower, Patton, and Bradley in their post-war writings.

Looking forward to your reply. Bad Bob

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm glad you took my advice to start a new thread. Interesting stuff. I hope you'll post more memories. These are really good. Pictures or any other documents you have would be appreciated.