Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My Dads Para Photo

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by marauder125, Dec 31, 2008.

1. marauder125

marauder125 Member

Hi wtid,
    thanks for the time and effort you are putting in to help find this info, Its interesting what you find out along the way, l found a church news reference to Alan Alexander Buchanan stating that he crash landed a glider at Arnham in readyness for the parachute drop , and also spent his last 8 months in service as a prisoner of war, I can see why you enjoy looking through these requests, you get hooked.
    Thanks again,
    M

2. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

My pleasure if you can pick up a copy of Britains at war, dated feb issue out from 30 of Jan might contain some info that will help you:) all the best. Jason

3. marauder125

marauder125 Member

Hi Jason,
    thanks I will take a look when I see a copy,
    Dave

4. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Just picked up a copy and not only is it a very intresting article but the guy in question was in 11 Para, the Battalion my Dad was in i think we need to get together on this Marauder, will send you a PM all the best .Jason

5. marauder125

marauder125 Member

Hi Jason, got a copy sent to me from there web site, could'nt find any local, very intresting article , and your Dad was in the thick of all that ! amazing.
    Had a look at the web sites mentioned and they have some great photos and information and worth a look,
    many thanks
    Dave

wtid45 likes this.
  6. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

No problem Dave have sent you a PM

7. olddigger

olddigger recruit

Hello

I had a look om your fathers picture and hey wear they airborne strips, but the 1st airborne div have not use airborne strips, only a short time in the early day's.
    Can you tell me the year of the picture?
    It like more that hey was of the 6st airborne div.

regards Hans

8. marauder125

marauder125 Member

Hi Guys,
    I have not been on for the last 6 months as I have been waiting for my Dads war records to be sent to me, they arrived last week, I now know that Dad was in the 5th Battalion DCLI from 1939/41 when he was posted to the 3rd Parachute regiment on 02/10/41, 3 para first drop was in Tunisia to capture Bone Airfield on 12/11/42 as part of Operation Torch, they then supported 1 and 2 para to capture Green Hill,
    on 13/07/43 1 ,2 and 3 para where dropped in to capture Primsole Bridge in Sicily, from there 3 para landed by sea at Taranto in Italy and moved North to Barletta, It's great to finaly have some solid info that I can now pass on to the rest of the family, I wish I had asked more questions when he was alive, I still miss him, I'm sad that it has taken me 28yrs since he died to make these enquiries, but his actions will now be remembered by future generations of our family.
    Thanks for all the help you have given me to get to this point.