Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My father’s WWII coat

Discussion in 'United States WWII Medals Equipment and Clothing' started by Half Track, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

This was his. I feel very fortunate to still have it and wish I had shown more interest while he was still alive. He passed in February of 1988. When he was discharged in 1945 he was a Captain in the 29th Infantry Division. But now that I have been exposed to the forum and in recent years have read more on the war, I often wonder why his division patch was not on the coat. Perhaps some transition period, or, who knows for what other reason. I have his 29th Infantry Division patch along with some others in an old cigar box.
    [​IMG]

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Given that his ribbon display indicate a Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Medal, American Campaign Medal, Asia Pacific Theater Medal (with one campaign star), and the World War II Victory Medal, I would presume he was only in the 29th ID at discharge, but served in another unit for most of the duration, which is why he never bothered to affix the patch to his coat. Where was he from/discharged? If it was Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, or Virginia then that could explain why the 29th ID. What are the other patches?

Jba45ww2 and Half Track like this.
  3. Half Track

I believe he was discharged in Pennsylvania, where he was from. Patches are tank destroyers, twenty fourth corps, and army ground forces patch. As well as the 29th Infantry patch. Also I have his private, corporal and first sergeant patches as he inlisted in 1941 and had his degree from Bucknell University and became an officer somewhere along the line. I know he was a tank platoon commander because I read it on a form we got from the VA, but a very faint copy from that time period and very hard to read. Thanks

4. RichTO90

Okay, XXIV Corps would be Leyte and Okinawa. With one campaign star I suspect it was Okinawa. Tank Destroyer patch makes it likely he was in the 775th TD Battalion.

Half Track likes this.
  5. Half Track

Yep, he was in Okinawa and Korea. Brought back two Japanese rifles and an officer’s sword. Bayonets too. They are long gone, unfortunately.

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The 775th TD Bn was reorganized as the 728th Amphibious Tank Bn. before going overseas.

RichTO90 and Half Track like this.
  7. RichTO90

Damn, you're right, should have engaged brain first.

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Wonder if he was given a battlefield commission? Commissioned officers are not entitled to the Good Conduct Medal--only enlisted. Guess Officers and Gentleman are just expected to have good conduct.