Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

my first model

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Feb 3, 2005.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    it was 1946, I was six years old we would glue a profile of a planes fuselage wings etc to a hunk of balsa wood or bass wood and whittle untile it looked like the plane we wanted to build. my early attempt a Hawker Typhoon remained two dimensional and still had the cammo pattern attached to its fuselage. I had no idea what templates were for. from these humble beginings came a lifetime of fascination for three dimensional representations of ww2 aircraft

2. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Your memory is better than mine, Kriegspfarrer. I have no memory of my first kit at all.

3. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :eek: shame on you!!!! :eek:

4. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Mine was a F-14 Tomcat 8) And it is still my favorite Fighter ! :smok:

KBO

5. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    mine was a p-47 then a b-24 , still remember the b-24,btw the only one i ever put togheter

6. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My first was one of the little Monogram 1/72 scale AH-1 Cobra helicopters.

7. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My biggest disaster model was also a F-14 Tomcat, where i accidently spilled glue all over the canopy !! :( :angry: It didnt look good !! :eek:

8. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    total war air force

I am sure that if I lined up all my models wing tip to wing tip it would stretch for miles but I have had over a half century to build and collect aircRAFT and armor models. and I have moved so many times that I have lost most of them. still I have a fair number of models in my collection. the TV is talking about the AVG and showing lots of flying tigers. I witnessed the birth of the Jet age and stared in disbelief at planes that had no propellers (duh, how do they fly??) I saw the end of wooden kits and the begining of plastic models. my comic books were all about jet fighter planes. there were 5 of us model builders, Tom and Ray Stein, Ron opalka, Alex Collis and me Allen oops Bill Schraeder too thats six we would get hold of ww2 hard rubber id models and paint them!!!! we lived for model planes and tanks and were regulars on a radio program out of the Merchandise mart called uncle Ned's Squadron. I was on the air many times

9. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    first models

I was in the 6th grade and joined Larry Burns Skyburners primarily a U-control club that flew ""Combat"" on 50 foot steel lines the object was with 3 or 4 planes flying in the circle and a length of crepe streamer attached to the tail to cut the enemies streamer with your prop w/o demolishing both planes well more often than not they had piles of balsa wood and silkspan at the end of the session. and then I discovered Scale U-control planes my first was a civilian Sterling Monocoupe. thAt plane caught fire in mid flight and burned completely. a sucession of MilitaRY planes followed. including a Savage a twin engine navy bomber that flew from a carrier deck the object being to snag the arrestor wire with your tail hook then release and go round again.

10. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    static models ( the train of thot started with my first mode

after the first hitch in the army I again settled back to static display models and I have been there ever since, I cant say that I have ever stopped building and/or collecting models. at least not for very long. all time favorite has to be JU 87 Stuka, something out the monstrous bird of prey fascinates me

11. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My first models were a Huey Cobra and a Chevy El Camino.My Grandfather helped me build both.

12. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :eek: My second model was a Huey Cobra that my Grandfather helped me build...

My first (with help from my Dad) was a Folland Gnat
    (both were 'Matchbox' kits)

13. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Now that you mention it... No, my first model must have been that old Bell Cobra, not Huey Cobra. My brother helped me build it but it was still a disaster. :grin:

14. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It was too small and we had the wrong glue. It was not I repeat not because of a lack of skills :wink: :grin: 8)

I made some helicopters too, in the past. I don't quite think any of the rotating blades are left though... :(
    I still want to make a Huey once. I like that model.