Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

my grandad 2 beds and herts

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by j pickess, Oct 19, 2014.

1. j pickess

j pickess New Member

Im trying to research my grandad platoon sgt william (billy) Pickess who fought with 2nd battalion beds and herts.

I know he fought through sicily and onto monte cassinos 4th battle. I want to get details of battalion level rather than division. Any ideas?

2. 4jonboy

4jonboy Active Member

3. j pickess

j pickess New Member

Thats great thank you. As most things battles are often described in division form so its hard to get accurate details.

4. Owen

Owen O

5. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Hi and welcome,

The first thing you need to ascertain is a time line of his service - Applying for a copy of his service records from the MoD is the only 100% way to do this. Once you've done this you can look at the unit war diaries. I already have a copy of the WO 167 2 Beds and Herts diary, you can have a copy of that for free if you order any other one. It's worth mentioning the WO 170 files will be quite thick as they only cover a few months each - I'd guess without even looking to expect 500 to 1,000 pages in each of the WO 170 ones. Drop me a PM if you want any help with the diaries.

Another alternative is get a copy of the regiments history that includes 2nd Battalion, Cap Badge by Medley

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=medley&sts=t&tn=cap+badge

Good luck with your research
    Andy

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Is there anything you guys don't have or know? Amazingly good work.

7. j pickess

j pickess New Member

You guy's have been a great help. I have now found out he was 13 platoon c coy 2 beds herts. Just by Google ive found out he was involved in rescues in laterina where germans murdered many Italians.

Thanks so much

8. j pickess

j pickess New Member

You guy's have been a great help. I have now found out he was 13 platoon c coy 2 beds herts. Just by Google ive found out he was involved in rescues in laterina where germans murdered many Italians.

Thanks so much