Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My Grandfather's War - Signaller Raymond Cotching, 5th Canadian Armoured Division

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by guyfranklin26, Jun 14, 2010.

1. guyfranklin26

guyfranklin26 recruit

Hi - first post on this forum!

I am looking into the history of WWII from my Canadian Grandfather's point of view. He was a signaller with the Royal Canadian Corps Signals and I've recently obtained his service record. Its very very hard to read/follow, but seems to suggest that he was attached to HQ for the Canadian 5th Armoured Brigade/Div, #4 Squadron and the dates/places listed all tally with the below history I got off of google:

"the bulk of 5th Canadian Armoured Division (officially “5th Canadian (Armoured) Division”) proceeded overseas in one main convoy, arriving in the UK at the end of November 1941. 5th Armoured spent two years of the war uneventfully in the UK, finally transferring to the Mediterranean in November 1943. The division moved without its tanks and vehicles, inheriting that equipment (in a less than pristine state) as a legacy from British 7th Armoured Division in Italy where the Canadians campaigned until the end of 1944. In January 1945 the division moved by truck, train, and naval transport to Belgium via Livorno and Marseille. After arriving, it disbanded the 12th Brigade, and re-equipped in time to participate in the final offensives across the Rhine".

Other than the small bit above, I know nothing of what he did/where he went as he didn't speak about his experiences at all. He was awarded the Star Italy, Star France & Germany as well as the Defence medal CVSM & clasp, so I know he went to those countries etc.

Can anyone shed any light on the life/structure of the RCCS or the signallers attached to the 5th Canadian Armoured division, particularly 1943-1945? His service record seems to show that he was transferred/attached to a number of different units, although his family unit was the (Signallers) 5th Armoured Division. It was thought by my family that he was the signaller/wireless operator in a Sherman tank, but looking at his record, I'm not so sure.

His service number was: K-74532 and he enlisted in Jan 1941 in Vancouver, Canada.

Any pointers/help/links or comments much appreciated as I would love to know more about what he did, where he went and the part he played.

Thanks

Guy

2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

From here: HyperWar: The Canadian Army 1939-1945: An Official Historical Summary [Appendix B]

The 5th Canadian Armoured Division consisted of the following:

5th C[SIZE=-1]ANADIAN[/SIZE] A[SIZE=-1]RMOURED[/SIZE] D[SIZE=-1]IVISION[/SIZE]

C[SIZE=-1]ANADIAN[/SIZE] A[SIZE=-1]RMOURED[/SIZE] C[SIZE=-1]ORPS[/SIZE]:
      • 3rd Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment (The Governor General's Horse Guards)
      5th Armoured Brigade
      • 2nd Armoured Regiment (Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians))
        5th Armoured Regiment (8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars)
        9th Armoured Regiment (The British Columbia Dragoons)
    R[SIZE=-1]OYAL[/SIZE] C[SIZE=-1]ANADIAN[/SIZE] A[SIZE=-1]RTILLERY[/SIZE]:
      • 17th Field Regiment
        8th Field Regiment (Self-Propelled)
        4th Anti-Tank Regiment
        5th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment
    C[SIZE=-1]ANADIAN[/SIZE] I[SIZE=-1]NFANTRY[/SIZE] C[SIZE=-1]ORPS[/SIZE]:
    • 11th Infantry Brigade:
      • 11th Independent Machine Gun Company (The Princess Louise Fusiliers)
        The Perth Regiment
        The Cape Breton Highlanders
        The Irish Regiment of Canada
        The Westminster Regiment (Motor)[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE]

3. macrusk

4. macrusk

You may need to search out the sites of the various regiments which made up the 5th Armoured. I'm surprised at how few specific sites are dedicated to the 5th Armoured. They were in the Liri Valley, Ortona (arrived in Italy just in time for that!), and various other notorious sites in Italy. They were also in the Netherlands, just from the little I've seen so far. Unfortunately, my own book collection has more to do with Canadian Infantry and Artillery. I'll see what else I can find!

Here is a bit in an article written by Terry Copp for the Legion Magazine

The Arielli Show: Army, Part 71 | Legion Magazine

5. guyfranklin26

guyfranklin26 recruit

thanks for all your info and pointers so far - I will have a look through in more detail. I do know that he was at Monte Cassino and other battles in Italy. Seems like he did alot of the morse code and cipher stuff and other related things which were "secret" at the time.

6. rickdow

rickdow recruit

Guy

My dad was a signalman in the 5th cdn signals div. I agree that details were tough to come by. I have some of his army records and also the stories he told me. If I can be of specific help please feel free to reply

Rick

7. rbmutch

rbmutch recruit

View attachment 14867

So my dad was in the 5th Canadian Armoured division and I have just recieved his service records also. I have a child who was going to apply for a scholarship with the Legion here.
    I just ransacked a collection of items that my older brother had hidden away, I found this and a few other items

Is your grandad one of the signitures on the back

My Dad never really talked to much about the war, He did tell me once that he was working on a pole connecting a line when a spitfire flew by, It returned and open fire on him. He was knocked to the ground because the rounds hit the pole below him. once he got up the aircraft returned looking for his target. My dad opened fire with his tommy gun, He missed and the aircraft left the area.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for, I have some pictures of them training on a water course

I have a list issue in 1974 Dec which has the names and address of the boys but I don't see Rays name

Attached Files:

8. krowe

krowe recruit

My father was a signaller with the RCCS and was attached to the 5th Cdn. Armoured Division HQ. He served in the Italian Campaign, France, Belgium and was in Groningen, Holland when the war ended. He was from Newcastle, Ontario and enlisted in Kingston, Ontario. I have in my possession two maps which my father received some time after the war. One is of England, Belgium and Holland and the other is of Italy. They show the route that 5th Div. followed throughout the war and include the dates for each location as well as the embarkation and disembarkation dates and locations from 1941 until the end of the war.

krowe

LWeeks likes this.
  9. rbmutch

rbmutch recruit

I could have sworn there was 3 maps, I remember them hangingon the wall downstairs. When Dad passed away some of his stuff ended up destroyed,I did get my hands on the Italy map. I know they are large but could you sendme a photo or a copy. I would love to replace the missing maps. My kids never go to meet the man but the know of him, his metals, the money he found and the one map have been framed and now hang on my wall. along with a couple of outher items that he took from a German

10. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Krowe hasn't logged in since 17 Nov 2011, so it may be a long shot to get copies of the maps. Still, you never know. Keep checking back regularly and maybe they or someone else will be able to help with the maps.

11. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

World War II - Voice of Victory (Part I) (1944) (11 Minutes)

How radio equipment helped to win World War II.
    Amateur Radio equipment was used in WWII. This video is sponsored by Hallicrafters, and if you've been around awhile you know how important Hallicrafters was in the history of Amateur Radio.

This video demonstrates the Hallicrafters HT-4 that had been used by amateurs prior to WWII and modified to fill important war communication needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5F7yQkeHu4

World War II - Voice of Victory (Part 2) (1944) (14 Minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5CBANVmuvQ

12. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

13. Wendy Millar

Wendy Millar New Member

Just happened to come across this site and immediately became a member. Wanted to write to you to say that my Dad was also a signaler, John McKenzie, in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, 5th Cdn Armoured Division. Rank L/Cpl. He enrolled with them at Toronto, Ontario on June 26, 1941. I see several other posts regarding the RCCS so I will continuing reads these. Would definitely like to get more information because I am only just starting my search to trace my Dad's movements through the war years. Thanks.

14. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

15. LWeeks

LWeeks New Member

My great Uncle was also a part of division. We have the same maps you are talking about. My aunt told us that they were created by a member of the unit for all the surviving members and given to them at one of their reunions. I have pictures of them as well. And interesting enough, I was just given a set of cufflinks that belonged to my uncle that are engraved with Remember Groningen.... I believe this is where they were when the war ended (VE day)