Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My Grandfathers WWII service

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by Arc77, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Arc77

Arc77 Member

First, thanks to all of yall for the kind welcome to these forums. I have been around them for some time, but just joined and am beginning to post now, so far so good!

My Grandfather served in WWII as an Airborne soldier with the 11th Airborne, 188th service regiment (he was a mechanic). I was 14 when he passed away on Christmas day, and miss him terribly even now some 20 years later. Oh what I'd give to spend a day with him again. I am very fortunate to have known him as a youngster, as so many young people now have no memories of their Grandfathers service, or great grandfathers in some cases. I know bits and pieces about his service, where he was and such. I am also lucky to still be in touch with one of his war buddies, who I e-mail and talk to by phone, he lives several states away. I know my Grandfather's rank was Sargent by the time the war ended. I know he was a mechanic, but also fought in the war, and made many jumps. His tales of hearing bullets strike his fellow soldiers as they floated toward the ground in the chutes is one that sticks in my mind, Ive always heard of how quiet and peaceful parachuting is, of course in a WWII Airborne soldiers situation it was far from peaceful, I cant even imagine what that was like. All I know is I am forever more thankful for Him, and all of the fine people who served in the most epic war ever on earth. If anyone has links or info on the 11th, please share, I'd really appreciate anything more than I know or have found. I read what I can find about the 11th Airborne, and would really like to put together some sort of report, or timeline in a report form, something to share with my family that would bring together all he and those he served with did and where they went, as best I can. This way we could far better understand what went on with him in during his service in the Pacific.

[​IMG]

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Hi, Arc. Thanks for the great photo of your grandfather and of the sword in your intro thread. I did a quick search on the forum and found the following threads on the 11th Airborne:

11th Airborne Division help, please!

11Th Airborne WW2 Vetern's (sic)

11th Airborne daughter

Identification help... 11th Airborne

I did not check them very carefully, but it should be a good start for you. There are several links in these threads. Some are probably duplicated or may be dead. I didn't take the time to check them. I hope they help you.

formerjughead likes this.
  3. Arc77

Arc77 Member

Thank you very much for the links & help Tommy. It is slow work, at times, digging up information on these things. I was just reading some online articles about post war activities from around the world and was reminded of what a huge subject WWII is. Easy, VERY easy to see how one can spend their lifetime studying the war and never learn it all, nor view it from all angles. Amazing.... I'll be lucky to even get everything learned about my Grandfathers service with the 11th Airborne, muchless all the other parts of the war I wish to really get involved with.

4. TD-Tommy776

I know exactly what you mean. I have been slogging through the process of researching the WWII service of two great uncles. It has also been very rewarding, though. Keep up the search and I look forward to reading more posts from you on what you find. :)

5. 36thID

36thID Member

Arc77.... One of my many uncles that served in WW 2 fought with your grandpa in the 11AB. He was in the 187 GIR.

The best site I found was one suggested by Slipdigit.... The 11th Airbourne Division During WW 2 - Overview.... I even found a photo of him there.

Good luck and welcome to the best hobby you'll ever have, WW 2 research.

6. Earthican

Earthican Member

Hello Arc,

Was your father with the Service Company of the 188th Glider Infantry Regiment? This seems to match your description of his experiences, except for the combat jump. IIRC, the 188th GIR and 187th GIR converted to Parachute Infantry during the occupation of Japan.

The 11th Airborne Division site has a 1943 Yearbook with unit photos that you might want to take a look at.

1943 Division Yearbook

Best Wishes!!!

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  7. TD-Tommy776

Nice find, Earthican. Hey Arc. If your grandfather was in the Service Company of the 188th GIR, you may want to check out that Yearbook link. I found this picture of the Service Company:

View attachment 15247

Now, I am lousy with identifying people in photos, but I gave it a shot. It seems to me that the young man on the far left in the top row looks a bit like the man in your photo, Arc.

View attachment 15248

What do you think?

Attached Files:

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I agree with you. Now we have to wait for Arc to let us know if he was in the 188th. Nice work in any case.

9. SGMasten

SGMasten recruit

[h=2]POW E Battery, 2nd Battalion, 131st Field Artillery, 61st Field Artillery Brigade, 36th ID TXANG[/h]Sgt. Cecil T. Minshew was my Grandfather, His Heart came to rest on October 4 2008 in Ft.Worth, Texas. He is buried just North of Garner, Texas at the Bethel Church Cemetery.
    I heard various Stories and even attended a few of the Reunions with Grandfather back in the Day. His Oral History is on file at the University of North Texas. He Was always Glad to visit with his friends from those days so long ago. I have several Photos of him after he returned from the War, He wanted to be a Barber like his Father, He ended up with a beauty shop on Fry St., Denton, Texas. Where he Studied Business and Education at what is now UNT. He went on to be a teacher at W.T. Francisco Elem. In Haltom City, Texas. He was also an Amateur Paleontologist on Sponges and such. He Always had a Garden, fished, and fed people he knew were struggling. This I Imagine is a result of the combination of Growing up in the Depression and being a POW. Like many of the boys he did seem to keep a stockpile of food, just in case.
    So Much he left out of the Oral History was only a small portion of the Stories he Told when I was growing up. Like the Guy Running for the forest/Jungle when the Japanese Aircraft showed up and running Smack into a tree (Knocking him Out) creasing his Helmet. The Guy Swore up and down a Japanese bullet creased his Helmet. I miss my Grandfather, and his stories.
    I was closer in Age to my aunt and uncle than to any of my Cousins, My Grandparents helped my mother a lot in raising me. I grew up knowing my grandparents almost more than I knew my Mom. I even attended School with My Grandfather across the hall in a different classroom for a year.

View attachment 15257

Attached Files:

10. mjmikelson

mjmikelson Member

Even if they survived the war, go to Fold3 - Historical military records and look at the Missing Aircrew Reports (MACR) (you'll have to pay for this, but occasionally they open them up for free) and the WWII AAF photos, you might find them on there--or you might read about others in the same groups. The MACR's have first-hand details in them that sometimes are astonishing in their candidness.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  11. TD-Tommy776

Hey! That's a great website, MJ. Thanks for posting it.

12. Gail P

Gail P Member

Welcome. My father was 11th A/B, 187th regiment. I've spoken to Lt. Gen. Flanagan and have done much research on this wacky, but brave, bunch of men. The general's books on the 11th A/B are the best source of info you are going to get. They deserve all the praise they receive.