Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My grandpa's medals came today!

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Krystal80, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I want to thank everyone that has been so helpful here with my research. My grandpa's medals came today just in time for Veterans Day. One of his favorite restaurants is offering free dinner to all vets and he never has participated but he wants to go this year. I'm so very thankful for him-for being a wonderful grandpa and for being a soldier.
    View attachment 15556

Attached Files:

2. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

That's great to hear about the medals - I hope you all have a great time and your Grandfather has a chance to be really proud and show everyone the medals he earned for his service.

Any info you need to help getting them all set up, just ask :)

Good for you too - you deserve to get some of the glory for all your work :)

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Krystal, that is truly great news. I hope that you and your grandfather have a great day tomorrow. Extend my best wishes to him. I wish I could do the same with my father. I bet your grandfather will be thrilled to see those medals he earned, but I'll bet he'll be even more thrilled that you have taken the steps you have.

Please let us know how your day goes, and feel free to ask anything else you wish.

4. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Unfortunatly I won't get to go, but my grandma was very excited that he was wanting to go and of course she will enjoy a dinner out as well. My dad is coming for a visit and will get his medals to him and then we'll start working on some kind of display case. It was just neat to get them around Veterans Day.
    As for the display, is there a certain order or arrangement that is correct for the medals? He has a combat infantryman badge, WII victory, good conduct, asiatic/pacific campaine, Japan army of occupation and a bronze star as well as a ribbon of some sort-can't remember what it was called.

5. LRusso216

Krystal, here is a link that shows the order of precedence for the medals and ribbons. Ribbons - Order of Precedence
    The CIB would go above the ribbons on the uniform.

6. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Here is the correct order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bronze Star, Good Conduct Medal, Pacific Campaign Medal
    WWII Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal, Phillipines Liberation Medal

Generally, the Combat Infantryman Badge will be displayed above the ribbon bars

I can't make out what the ribbon is (photo is too small), but it should be listed on this site: Ribbons - Order of Precedence. If not, try Wikipedia: Awards and decorations of the United States military - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck with the display case

EDIT: As per Nigel's message, I have added the Philippines Liberation Medal (PLM) ribbon bar to the graphic. There is also a medal that comes with the ribbon bar, but I don't believe the medal is authorized for wear on a US Army uniform (as they army is very specific about the wear of foreign awards, and I believe the PLM is authorized as ribbon-only). This would explain why you did not receive it with the other medals. If you wish to buy one for display anyway, it is available from a few sources, including this one: http://www.wwmeinc.com/mm5/merchant...&Product_Code=USM177&Category_Code=10-500-088.

mikebatzel, Skipper and formerjughead like this.
  7. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

8. LRusso216

It should be worn after all US awards.

9. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I believe that is correct. Good catch, Nigel. I updated my previous message to include it.

10. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Thank you. For the display, do I add the medal under the ribbon in the order above then or do most just display the ribbon alone in the shadow box?

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Congratulations and have a great day with your grandpa!

12. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

So glad you received the medals, and their coming when they did is super! What great timing. Glad the fine people on the forum here were of some help.

14. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Well I would, but again thanks to everyone on here, I was able to find the unit insignia etc. with a few people pointing me in the right direction. I have been just waiting on the medals to arrive. Now my dad and I need to figure out which shadow box to buy. The link to the one just done was perfect. I think that is the route we want to go.

15. Buten42

Buten42 Member

The Phillippine Liberation Medal is a foreign award and not issued by the Department of Defense. I'm surprised they sent the ribbon. But there is a beautiful medal that goes with the ribbon and would go nicely with the display-you just need to purchase it from one of the dealers. Good job--show us when you're finished.

Krystal80 likes this.
  16. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Is this the one you are talking about? Why is it a foreign award?

Attached Files:

17. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Philippine Liberation Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Krystal80 likes this.
  18. karenlalaniz

karenlalaniz Member

That is really fabulous. I agree, you should get an award for doing all this for your Grandpa. But of course, I know that just seeing your grandpa's reaction is enough. You've done a wonderful thing! You will probably never really know how much it meant to him. WWII vets are all so humble and if he's anything like my WWII dad, he probably won't be telling you a lot about his feelings. But rest assured, just the fact that he's going out on Veteran's Day to get his meal is really huge! Nice job!

19. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Glad they made it to y'all. I'll bet he is most proud of the CIB.

20. 1ST Chutes

1ST Chutes Member

PLM is a ribbon only award for the USA, USMC and USN.