Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My Great-grandpa's Life in world war 2

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by CodyUSMC3521, Nov 15, 2017.

1. CodyUSMC3521

CodyUSMC3521 New Member

This will be short being he never talked about anything. He only said brief things about where he was. He never named any specific place. I have researched with no luck and his DD-214 is "general"

During the start of the war before the draft, he tried to enlist in the US Army to be a medic. He was turned away for medical reasons. The medical reason was due to the fact he hurt his eye at the Ford factory he worked at. He got hit with a chunk of metal and it hurt his vision in the left eye. I say hurt because it did not make him blind and it actually did get better with no medical treatment over time. A few months later after his dream of being a Medic got crushed he received a letter saying he was now drafted into the army. My Great-grandpa loved to share this story and told it over and over again. He thought it was the funniest thing that he tried to go and was ready and did not get accepted. Just thought I would share this piece of his life.

He has now passed. He was married for 80 years to his widowed wife. On his last day with us, he was still playing solitaire all by himself and drinking 1 old-fashioned a day.

Thank you for your time. Hope you enjoyed a piece of my history. I am sure there are many stories just like this but just wanted to share. Have a great day everyone.

-Cody

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Hi Cody. If you want to find out more about your GG's service, we're always willing to help if we can.

3. CodyUSMC3521

CodyUSMC3521 New Member

That would be amazing.. please message me what you need from me :D

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome Cody. We're a friendly and helpful lot. If you can post a picture of his DD-214 we have a number of experts who can decipher what it says. You would be surprised at the expertise of our members. Hope we can help.

5. CodyUSMC3521

CodyUSMC3521 New Member

Thanks everyone, been super busy here. Will post after thanksgiving :)