Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My Uncle Harry

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by LRusso216, Nov 20, 2015.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Unfortunately, my Uncle Harry was an alcoholic. and we haven't seen him in more than 40 years. His wife is nearly 90 with all of her faculties and is the younger sister of my 91 year old mother. She recently moved into a retirement home (she is very happy there) and my wife and I visited her today. While we were there, she mentioned that she found my uncle's discharge papers. We were fortunate enough to look them over. It turns out he went into the navy in July 1944 and left the service in May 1946. He was awarded a Pacific Theater ribbon, an American Theater ribbon, and a WW2 Victory medal. There also was a list of ships he was assigned to. While I can't remember the list, I'll look more closely when we see her again. I told her I would get the medals and ribbons he was entitled to. His name was Harry J. Beer. It was nice to see the paperwork.

belasar likes this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I found a Harry J. Beer on the muster roll for LSM-350. Would this be your uncle?

View attachment 23348

Attached Files:

Slipdigit likes this.
  3. LRusso216

Could be. I think I remember that being one of his postings. I have to check his serial number to be sure. Thanks for looking.

4. TD-Tommy776

You're welcome, Lou. If it is him, I have also found several "Report of Changes" that him listed for changes in rate and demob. If you want them, I can email them or post them here. Just let me know.

5. LRusso216

I should have his serial number and list of ships by mid- or late week. If you could email the list to me, I can compare that to what I'll get. I hope they match. I want to give her as complete a record as I can. I appreciate the help. Where did you find this stuff?

6. TD-Tommy776

Fold3.com has a great collection of military documents. It's a fantastic resource. The docs I mentioned are all from the LSM-350. When I did a search for his name, that was the only ship which had "Harry J. Beer". If I had the names of specific ships, I might be able to find more for you. BTW, several may have overstated the number of docs. Counting the above MR, there are 8 total including Muster Rolls.

7. LRusso216